progress on my layout

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Doc, I like that! What size curves do you have? Do you think you could post what elevations the tracks are, what percent the grades are, stuff like that? That is, if you don't my copying

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I'm using 18" and 22" radii. I'm running early steam so I can get away with them that small. Inclines vary from 1% to a max of 4%. Here's an early pic showing the ups and down.
aal.jpg

I laid it out on graph paper and may still have the sketch with elevations. PM me you address and if I can find it I'll snail mail it to you. It's way too messy to try to scan. I also had a buddy rough it out in XTRAK-CAD if you 'd like that. I'm more into modeling than running trains so I realize that it has some operational limitations.
Doc

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
hey Doc
do you have anymore recent pics? I saw your homepage and would love to see where your at now....great work!

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Thanks Steve, unfortunately the only recent work I've done it to clean the track. I don't have much time to work on the BAD Western during spring, summer and fall. Too many honeydo projects around the house. I'm looking forward to the onset of winter and a long rainy season.
Doc

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Doc Holliday said:
I'm using 18" and 22" radii. I'm running early steam so I can get away with them that small. Inclines vary from 1% to a max of 4%. Here's an early pic showing the ups and down.

I laid it out on graph paper and may still have the sketch with elevations. PM me you address and if I can find it I'll snail mail it to you. It's way too messy to try to scan. I also had a buddy rough it out in XTRAK-CAD if you 'd like that. I'm more into modeling than running trains so I realize that it has some operational limitations.
Doc

Is there anywhere that the upper track connects to the lower track?

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Doc Holliday said:
Doc
Doc, I plan on using 22" and 18" myself, so that's cool. I just want to be able to run an SD40-2 on the 22's and my GP40-2 on the 18's.
How big is this graph paper with the drawing on it? I will pm you my address for it, if you really want to send it to me. I would ask for the xtrak-cad file, but I don't even have the program, just have the Atlas one.
I myself just like to watch the train run through the scenery, I'm not big on the switching aspect, so this is a nice plan for me.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
Yeah? I thought 6axle locos need the 22" to be able to run, and pull a train without de-railing everything. I mostly have smaller cars, in the 40-50' range. I don't plan on running much bigger stuff than that. I actually like the looks of the smaller cars, more than the modern behemoth 80-90' cars.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
you won't have a problem. Its really when you get to larger locomotives like SD50 and up, and even then you can get some of them to work on the 18" curves.

I have a Bachmann SD45 that i run trains with all the time. In addition to that, many of the early 6 axle switchers are more than capable of handling the 18" curves, like SD7s-SD35s, because they not much longer than their GP counter parts.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
Here's a couple more recent pics I took this morning. One shows the connection I added between the two separate tracks.. The last is a trestle kitbash I'm putting in. Sorry for the poor photo quality.
Doc

Attachments

• overall3.jpg
    overall3.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 423
  • P1001361.jpg
    P1001361.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 424
  • connection.jpg
    connection.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 433

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I have not heard back from Doc yet. I would like to use his plan, though I think I would use my 2x4 section for a yard, and incorporate that into the plan somehow.

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I got the pics, haven't printed them yet though. I do plan to soon though, however. I will be posting progress here as soon as I start to make some progress. I already have everything else cleared off the table, just need to get the foam, then roadbed, and start laying track

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I was able to print the pics tonight, finally. You didn't lable any of the track pieces (22"r, 18"r, 9", etc). Am I safe using 9" straight? What about the curves? Or even turnouts for that matter?

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
I used mostly Atlas sectional track for the curves. All of them are 18" radius except the curve in the upper right and the outside rail on the lower left, these are both 22". The plan is very rough, although it is to scale (1'=12") if you print it full size. I did have a couple of 6" straght sections, but tried to use 9" as a minimum. I layed the whole thing out full size using copies of full-sized Atlas templates, holding the curves and fitting the straight sections, "laying" as I went. I used flex track for the long straight sections. As for switches, they are Atlas snap switches.

Good luck.
Doc