Progress (Lack Thereof?) On The Megill River System...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lighthorseman, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Once again, the benchwork is a frame of 1 by 4 pine, with the joists 16 inches apart, allowing access with a power drill. This penninsula is 5 feet across, and will be divided down the middle by a backdrop, allowing the track to run through two sections of 30 inches wide.

This section is lower than the others, as the line climbs for the length of each straight section, for a rise of about 1 inch for each 10 foot straight section, giving an approximate grade of 1 percent or so...for a mountain shortline, not even close to prototypical. (Oh, well. I'm a learning newbie. :rolleyes: ) I intend to keep the curve level.

Here's a progress shot of the beginning of what will be called "Dead Man's Curve". There will be a whole story behind this one stretch of track.

Attached Files:

2. Lighthorseman

A Little More Trackwork...

I picked up some Peco code 75 rail, and snipped off small bits to use as turnout guardrails. Here they are installed on one of my turnouts.

All I need now is to paint the rails and ballast.

Attached Files:

3. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Keep up the good work Steve. It is quiet an accomplishment and you have inspired me to get off my duff and start doing some track work of my own. It won't be as nice as yours, but it will get some trains running.

4. Lighthorseman

I found a little time this weekend, and got a small bit of work done. :thumb: I have "sort-of" finalized a track plan for the small town of Megill River. There is a tiny passenger station, and three or four businesses on the rail line here. The track will gently curve through town.

Here is a basic overview.

Attached Files:

5. Lighthorseman

On The Other Side Of The Backdrop...

I've put a temporary scenic divider along the middle of the penninsula, and here is what's behind it. This is the winding "road" up to town, through a canyon, and along a fast-moving stream. The branchline, seen above, will head to a mine.

Attached Files:

6. narrowsteam

narrowsteam New Member

nice work

Steve, your layout is really starting to take shap, looking good....I am enjoying seeing your progress, it is inspiring me to get to work on my own line...

7. neilmunck

neilmunck Member

Your layout is GREAT, I'm really impressed with your rate of progress.

It is so difficult - you make me want to model On2 1/2, Chris makes me want to model HO trolleys and the rest of me wants to model HO Colorado Midland (well, a bit like the CM anyway:oops: )
  8. interurban

interurban Active Member

Hi Steve great work my friend!!! progress is great isn`t it, I now how long you have been waiting to "GET GOING"!!!!!:D :thumb:

Hi Niel, thanks for the complements, Go with what you feel matey :D :D you can always change later, I did three times:eek:
    Looking forward to your progress to!!!:thumb:
  9. Lighthorseman

Man, Oh Man. If I DIDN'T Have To Go To Work...

...Then perhaps I'd have some free time. :(

Wheeldling and whining aside, I have at least finalized the structure placement for the town of Megill River.

Megill River is a small town just at the top of the treeline, the last small plateau before the landscape becomes treacherous, windswept and barren. Miners and loggers come in for their supplies, and connections to the line that leads around "Dead Man's Curve", through the gorge, big trees, and down to the coastal town (currently non-existent) where rail meets barge.

I was rather surprised to find just how many structures I was able to fit in this small town. Here's a list, in order of travel through town.

- Stockyard (Rail access)
    - Scrap Metal Dealer (Rail access)
    - General Goods Store
    - Abandoned or burnt-out building (?)
    - Bakery
    - Irish Pub
    - Team Track With Wooden Ramp
    - Construction Company (Rail Access)
    - Blacksmith-Turned-Auto Service
    - Combination Passenger Station & Freight Depot

All will be scratchbuilt, and all are currently mocked up with matboard at the moment. A cardboard base for the main road has been placed.

As I cannot fit the whole thing into one picture, here are a couple. The first is the left side of town. In this shot, the stockyard (rear) and the Scrap Metal Dealer (foreground) can be seen, as well as the Dry Goods Store. Beside that will be the burnt-out or abandoned building.

Attached Files:

10. Lighthorseman

The second picture shows the wooden team track ramp in the foreground, and the Bakery, Irish Pub and Construction Company in the rear. Just out of the picture would be the Blacksmith and Passenger Stop.

Attached Files:

11. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

Hey Steve,

Excellent work!

Hi Neil,

That's what free-lancing is all about! I'm an On30 (On2 1/2) modeller who has fallen for Traction by being inspired by Chris....

So, free-lance model On30 traction in Colorado Midland!

Go for it!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  12. Lighthorseman

Thanks for the kind comments, everyone!

Who knows where, and who knows when, but I GUARANTEE a narrow gauge traction line somewhere on my layout.

I've even built some trolley poles for the as-yet-nonexistent line. Hmmmm. "Walker Traction Co." sure sounds right, doesn't it? :)
  13. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

I can see the slogan now....

"Walker Traction Co. It's quicker to walk" :D :D :D

Er... It's quicker than Walking... That's what I meant.... Really... :p :p :p
  14. chipmonk

chipmonk Member

i just discovered this thread the other day,and am quite impressed. everything seems to be coming together nicely and i love to see that other people are handlaying these days!

Keep up the good work :thumb:
  15. Lighthorseman

Oh, Man! I'd Better Get Back On Track!

With the latest Gauge Layout Party now on the go, I've come to realize just how unfocused I've become! Trackwork has come to a screeching halt as I try to start 200 new projects all at the same time, and ending up going NOWHERE FAST!!

As a result, I've committedmyself to continuing the trackwork, hoping to get a full circuit completed and running withyin the layout party timeframe. I usually start by tacking down stock flextrack to make sure it works, and then move along, replacing plastic ties with the hand-cut and spiked ones later. I hope to have the whole town of Megill River handlaid, as well as starting on the rocky gorge area just behind on the other side of the backdrop.

Let's see if I can get on it! :rolleyes:

Hey...wait!! Maybe some dancin' bananas would help. Let's see...
  16. Lighthorseman

'Course, if they don't work, there's always the option of..

...Getting off my posterior! :D
  17. interurban

interurban Active Member

It sounds gooooood to my eye :D :D :D :D
    Fantastic work Steve ,, stay focused know. Glad you have some poles ready :thumb: They are like gold to a Traction nut. ;)
  18. nalmeida

nalmeida Member

This thread is in my favourites so it's great to see some progress, I just love to see hand laid track... oh and don't forget the pics please :)