Progress (Lack Thereof?) On The Megill River System...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lighthorseman, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Slow Progress...

Thanks, Nelson!

I have now finished the three turnouts needed for the small yard. Here they are, positioned roughly in place. I am going to paint the rest of the styrofoam before gluing the track down.

Attached Files:

2. Lighthorseman

Turnouts glued down, and ties laid for the small yard.

Attached Files:

3. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Steve, the layout is looking GREAT!!:thumb:
    Kitbashing commercial HO track into handlaid On30...? What a stroke of genius that is! :thumb: :cool:
    Your progress & techniques are a real inspiration!
    Thanks for posting! I'm looking forward to following along with this one!:cool:
  4. Lighthorseman

Keeping At It...

Thanks so much for the kind words, Charlie! If I could acheive results like yours...I'd be darn proud. :)

I have now finished the tracklaying and spiking in the little yard.

Here's a shot...

Attached Files:

5. Lighthorseman

In a note of almost comic irony, small as this yard is, it still holds ALL my rolling stock...with room to spare! :D

Attached Files:

6. Lighthorseman

An overview...I have also stuck down and painted a small bit of base scenery. This is just roughly carved styrofoam painted a flat latex earthtone. I will not be putting in any final scenery until I have practiced, and am happy with the results. Now, to dig up Shamus' EXCELLENT thread on ground cover...

Attached Files:

7. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Whre is it? me wants to see... meessa Jar Jar Binks.

Now, talking seriously. Great work, Lighthorseman. You make handlaying tracks look easy. :)

I'm enjoying every photo you post here. Please, do continue with your excellent work, and show us progress, if you don't mind :)

Cheers, mate!
  8. SD90

SD90 Active Member

Very nice work Steve! Next time I'm in edmonton, I'd like to see your work in person! It looks very time consuming to lay that track by hand, but I bet it's easier than in N scale! Nice work again, keep the pictures coming!

9. Lighthorseman

First Scenic Layer...

Well, as I cannot seem to find Shamus' ground cover tutorial, I'm just winging it. Rather than use plaster for the base, I make my own "ground goop". This consists of sifted light coloured dirt, a good dollop of white glue, some flat tan latex paint, and a little water. I mix it to a cake-frosting type consistancy, and spread it on the base of carved styrofoam. Here's what I get:

Attached Files:

10. Lighthorseman

On the base of ground goop, I put down some Woodland Scenics "burnt grass" fine turf. Here is a shot of the bottom layer of the small corner hill.

Attached Files:

11. Lighthorseman

I just had to see what a train passing by would look like. Here's the result.

Attached Files:

12. Lighthorseman

Attached Files:

13. Lighthorseman

Attached Files:

14. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Very nice work there. It sure looks with a train going by it. :thumb:

15. narrowsteam

narrowsteam New Member

lookn good

Really starting to look good, I kitbashed my first switch following your practices and it "turned out" great ...cheers:wave:
  16. Mangi

Mangi New Member

Awesome design. How far apart did you set your 1x4(under the platform)? And what thickness plywood did you use for the platform. I'm getting ready to design a shape very similar to the one you did. I have about 10ft from the wall and 25ft long. I definately want a long straight away on the outer edge for viewing the fast stretch.
  17. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

18. Lighthorseman

Thanks for the nice words, everyone! Not too much has happened lately, as my hours at work almost preclude everything alse.

Mangi - I used a framework of 1 by 4 pine, with the joists 16 inches apart. This allows me to get in between them with a power drill...a very important feature, in my opinion, as I had a lot of frustration on the last layout where they were only a foot apart. No matter how well you plan, there always seems to be something that needs tweaking, and it really is nice to be able to just pop in and out with your drill. This section does not have a plywood tabletop. The 2 inch styrofoam serves as the track and scenery base. I went with this idea as this section is not to be heavily scenicked, as it it supposed to be a plateau area. In other areas, where there are to be many things like rock faces, I'll be using a different system.
  19. Lighthorseman

A Possible Inertia Remission?

Up to this point, all the posts have been about one smallish section of the layout, which is the locomotive service area. This section is located on the far end of the line, on a high plateau.

From this end, the line winds through the small burg of Megill River, and through the mountains, down to the port of Wedgietown.

Of course, once I had the track laid on the first section, it was time to start figuring out where to go from there. --->Inertia set in.<--- Sadly, this happens to me a LOT.:rolleyes:

So, here's where we are now. I have built a small section along the rear wall, and the penninsula is under construction, creating a walk-in layout.

Attached Files:

20. Lighthorseman

Benchwork Started...

The square section of the penninsula has been erected, and I need to figure out the curved end. This will likely result in more standing staring at the as-yet non-existant section that needs to be built...trying to fathom some method of completing this.

Attached Files: