Progress (Lack Thereof?) On The Megill River System...

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Lighthorseman, Dec 2, 2003.

1. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

The second turnout is coming along, but has not yet all the ties replaced. This one is the turntable lead. (?) The lower left track passes the water, coal and sand towers, while the track at the above left passes behind the towers.

Attached Files:

2. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

Way cool turnout there. What make is it? That would be a great how to thread. I like your layout idea too. Looks like a neat layout to operate.

3. Lighthorseman

Also, while I was at it, I stained the ties with Minwax walnut, having first made sure that it would not eat holes in the foam.

Messy, eh? :)

Attached Files:

4. Lighthorseman

At this point, I placed some rail down, and made sure that the trains would run through the turnout properly.

Attached Files:

5. Lighthorseman

Greg...I just used a cheapy Atlas code 83 number 4 turnout. I just pulled the ties off, and replaced them with the ties I'm using elsewhere. I glued the rails down with Pliobond, then spiked every tie to the rail. I will follow with more pictures if needed. :)
  6. Catt

Catt Guest

Steve,everything looks great.Are you going to do anymore turnouts? How about some pics and a how-to article.You could post it here and on the NARA site. :D
  7. narrowsteam

narrowsteam New Member

Nice work

Steve, the track work is magnificent, the switch idea is great, cannibalize an HO switch, put in new ties, it sure beats making your own points, frog and switch components....they look terrific.

8. interurban

interurban Active Member

I love it Steve, very glad to see your model coming to life!!!!!!
    Btw have you read all those Steven King books ????? :D :D :D :D

Great Track work, please keep posting your progress.:thumb:
  9. Lighthorseman

Well, let's see.

CATT: I have lots more tunouts to convert; mostly number fours, but a few number sixes, too. These are for the slightly better-maintained "main" line. For my really backwoodsy "branch" line, I'd like to scratchbuild stub turnouts. :eek:

NARROWSTEAM: Thanks for the kind words. From what I've seen of your work, compliments indeed. :)

INTERURBAN: It's a slow process, Chris. Thanks, and yes, I've read them all...most more than once. And all the Clancys, Koontzes, Ludlums, Grishams, etc., etc., etc...:D
  10. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

Nice work on the turnout! :thumb:
  11. narrowsteam

narrowsteam New Member

What brand of ties are you using or did you make your own? Also are you using a Kadee spiker to do the spikes? Or each spike by hand...

12. Lighthorseman

Well, talk about doing this the hard way!

I am cutting each individual tie from 3/32 square basswood. Each tie is laid and glued without a jig. They're stained, and then I am spiking them with nothing more than a small pair of pliers.
  13. Lighthorseman

Here's a shot of my tools. I keep some of the HO ties on as a rough spacer, fine-gauge the rail with the NMRA standards gauge, and spike every fourth tie.

Attached Files:

14. Lighthorseman

I've now spiked an 8 foot section of flextrack. Slow progress, but I'm enjoying it.
  15. narrowsteam

narrowsteam New Member

Steve, thanks for the info. Track work looks great...

16. Lighthorseman

I have just posted a thread about kitbashing a turnout in Scratchin' And Bashin'. Will be updating soon. :)
  17. Jim T

Jim T Member

Please keep this stuff coming, Steve. Great info. This is building a RR just the way the big boys did it!! LOL Great fun!! I'm getting ready to abandon my fledging HO layout and start scratch building an On30 layout.

Cheers, Jim
  18. Lighthorseman

Still With Trackwork...

Here is my next project. The small 3-track yard. I'm starting with bashing yet more turnouts. Here's a "before" shot.

Attached Files:

19. Xaniel

Xaniel Member

Some excellent work you're developing here. Please keep those pictures coming!!!!
  20. nalmeida

nalmeida Member

Amazing trackwork, with tracks like this you don't even need scenery :)