progress in SW PA

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by johnny b, Jan 21, 2007.

1. johnny b

johnny b Member

I haven't posted anything in a while , and I've made a little progress recently. Still very much to do however.
    As I described once upon a time , I'm somewhat modeling SW PA / Pittsburgh suburbs not far out of town. Nowhere specific.
    There is still a lot to do on trees and wooded areas , buildings and other assorted detail work. Still no water in the creek.
    While I had it pulled away from the wall I thought I might take some pics from the normally blocked sides .
    Not in the class of some of the stuff I see on here but I'm proud of it just the same .
    Agian , sorry for the poor photography.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      File size:
      51.8 KB
    • 4.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
    • 5.jpg
      File size:
      65.2 KB
    • 7.jpg
      File size:
      68 KB
    • 8.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
  2. johnny b

johnny b Member

And a few other pics ..............

Attached Files:

• 10.jpg
      File size:
      62.1 KB
    • 11.jpg
      File size:
      62.5 KB
  3. fifer

fifer Active Member

Thanks for the pictures Johnny. I always love to see a layout that has room for peoples homes as well as the town they work in !!! :wave: :)

4. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Looking great there Johnny. I like the idea of the downtown and suburbs area with the green belt between. Excellent placement sir.
  5. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Johnny, your layout is a very good example for showing a railroad which fits into a given landscape (and townscape :D).

I admire your modeling style - you didn't succumb to the temptation to cram as much tracks as possible into a given space. I must admit that I myself had to eliminate several track sections in the course the construction of my layout - just to avoid that spaghetti-bowl look. :(

You didn't fall for this common temptation - Congratulations! Great work! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

6. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I really like the way all the buildings are painted. Nice job!
  7. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Member

Nice! Agree with Herc on the scenery to track ratio.

The layout also shows what can be done very nicely with commonly available materials-- I recognize a lot of the buildings.
  8. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Sw Pa

Hey, I can see my house from here!!
  9. hooknlad

hooknlad Member

Very impressive use of space !!!! The buildings and landscaping are well laid out.
  10. johnny b

johnny b Member

Thanks everyone . Like I said there is much to be done yet . Ironically there really wasn't a plan as such. more of just a general idea . The buildings were purchased basically one at a time and placed as I got them. The track plan was kept simple for kid reasons so the basic loops were used . Then I tried to disquise that fact as much as I could by breaking up the view of the track with the scenery.