Programming a Locomotive

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Hello!

i've done the impossible and squeezed a boat load of electronics in one locomotive. Now its time to program it, but i'm running into some problems. I want to give it a long (extended) adress of 4167, its road number, but i can't seem to program it. when i got to the CVs for it, i can't see how i'm supposed to program that number.

can anyone help me?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
There are two CVs you'll need to set. One for extended addressing, and the other for the actual address. I don't recall the CV numbers. What brand of DCC command station and cab controller are you using?

I use NCE and it has a computer interface, where you can plug your computer into it. I use JMRI software (freebie). That gives me a nice window (or set of windows) for each decoder brand, and you just select from drop-down boxes what you want. i.e. "extended adressing" click this button (yes) or that button (no), then "tab" and enter the address, then "tab" and enter accleration rate etc. all CV's are titled in real words. Then you "save" that loco config, and then just haul it up, change what you need, and "rewrite all CVs or "rewrite changed CVs", even on the main. So I forget which CV is what now...............:rolleyes: :eek:ops: sign1 All the CVs for each loco are stored on the computer as well, so you can see what they are, even if the loco is sitting in it's box on the shelf! It's great for making adjustments, because you can see what they are, make all your adjustments, and rewite all the CV back to the loco, even while its running around the layout. Note that this does NOT read the CVs from the loco while running, but maintains a "copy" on the computer. Make a change to the CVs, "rewrite changes", and instantly your loco will respond to those changes. None of this uncoupling the loco, put it on the programming track, read your individual CV's one at a time, (cause you forgot what they were), make that fine adjustment (+1 or - 1), rewrite each CV indiviually, put it back on the main, only to find you need to adjust it further.

But to answer your original question, I'll check what two CVs you need to set when I get home tonight (unless someone else can let you know).

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I have the MRC prodigy express. I'm using a loksound decoder though, so if i had another $110 bucks to shell out, i could buy the Lok programmer, and do all the changes with my computer.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
It's CV17 & CV18 you've gotta set the long address in. A bit in CV29 says whether to use long addressing or not.

My NCE cab with LCD display just says "enter short address" - <key in short address>, than "enter long address" - <key in long address>. "use long address" <key 1= yes, 0= no>

However, some notes on the decoder (NCE D13SR) packet says:

Formula for computing the long address if using Lenz SET01 or SET02:
If using a Lenz SET01, SEET02, SET90, Set100 or other entry level system, use paged programming mode and see below for programming long address.

CV17 = 192 + (the whole number portion of the long address divided by 256)
CV18 = the remainder of the long address divided by 256.

CV29 = 34 (if analog mode disabled), 38 (if analog mode enabled)

I have no idea what that means, but let's have a go.

You want long address 4167.

Set CV17 to 192 + (whole number portion of 4167/256)

4167/256=16.27734

192+16=208

So set CV17 = 208

Set CV18 = 4167/256=16 with remainder 71.

So set CV19 = 71.

If you want to use the loco on DC then set CV29 = 38. IF DC disabled, set CV29 = 34.
These values for CV29 will set direction, speed mode, analog mode, and use speed table to defaults (forward, 28, yes/no, no) it is "bit 5 of CV29" that says use long address or not.

So.... if you want to use your loco on DC as well, set:

CV17 = 208
CV18 = 71
CV29 = 34.

Well that's what I reckon, anyway. :D sign1

It's too late to go try it in "paged mode" on my cab controller by using "set CV number" mode, as it's my bedtime, but I might try my theory tomorrow night, and see if it will use long address 4167.

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
green_elite_cab said:
I have the MRC prodigy express. I'm using a loksound decoder though, so if i had another $110 bucks to shell out, i could buy the Lok programmer, and do all the changes with my computer.

What I've said should work (if it works at all) on the loksound decoder (well any decoder actually). I'm not familiar with the MRC Prodigy, dunno if it will let you program CVs by their number or not.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
for the short adress, you can only go up to a certain point ( i can't remember the exact limit)

on the long adress, you have to do the crazy CV17 and 18 programming you mentioned. I'll try it right now and make sure it works.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Yep, it all works! thanks alot!

so in the future, in CV17 i divide the extended adress by 256, then add the remainder, and then on CV18 is 236 divided by the remainder?

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
green_elite_cab said:
Yep, it all works! thanks alot!

so in the future, in CV17 i divide the extended adress by 256, then add the remainder, and then on CV18 is 236 divided by the remainder?

WOW!! sign1 :D What a guess! It works. :)

But your sums are not quite right.

You want long address 4167.

Divide 4167 by 256 = 16 with remainder 71. i.e. 16 * 256 + 71 = 4167
or 256 goes into 4167 16 times, with 71 left over.

Set CV17 = 192 + 16 = 208

Set CV18 = 71.

To use algebra............. where A = long address

Divide A by 256 = B with remainder C
or 256 goes into "long address" B times with C left over

Set CV17 = 192 + B
Set CV18 = C

Set CV29 = 34 for DC enabled, or 38 for not DC enabled.

Happy programming. :):)