PRODUCTS YOU WANT AND CAN'T GET.

Woodie

Dave,

Me being from a far flung outpost of the British Empire, I'm not to familiar with US rolling stock. I thought a Metroliner was a twin level, long haul passenger coach, with observation deck on top? Am I close?? The guys at the shop seemed to know what I was talking about and remember having a box set with Metroliner something on it, but couldn't find it, (or sold it!)

TOOT!

George

Now there's a Bachmann set I haven't seen!

Woodie, you've found the McKinley explorer, a contemporary tourist train from Alaska. People take cruises up the coast looking at the ice, then go inland to see the rocks on the train.

My mother took this trip, and instead of getting a T-shirt, I got the replica of the dome she rode in. Not bad!

Metroliner. Built by Budd originally for the Pennsylvania Railroad. Came into service 1968 under Penn Central (Merged product of PRR and New York Central. FYI, major disaster which lead to everything east going bankrupt and eventual forming of Conrail). This electric MU powered from overhead had a top speed of 120 MPH. It was fun when they kept up with the suspension. We used to go from New York to Washington DC in 2 1/2 hours. The MU cars resembled Amfleet cars, but the ends had cabs and there were pantographs on top. When they wore out, they substituted AEM 7's (ASEA/Brown Boveri Swedish Meatballs) double ended electric locomotives hauling Amfleet coaches on a three hour schedule today.

George.

Woodie

AH HA!, George, So the Metroliner was electric. 1968!? And they've worn out already? 70 - 80 years is rolling stock lifetime here! Wonder if mine will last that long!) "kerklatety CLUNCK" it all goes here!

Thanks for the info.

TOOT!

George

Woodie, you know how bad it gets here? Where I live they totally rebuilt a line of diesels less than ten years ago. They're already putting them out to pasture after cannibalizing them to keep them running! Do they not have rust down under?

George.

DetroitTerminal

I'd like to see a proto 2000-like HO GP30 with a high-hood, Norfolk & Western style. Southern style too. I believe the major difference (and it wouldn't be too "major") is which end the bell is placed:N&W-short hood, Southern-long hood.

George

Hey Detroit!

You want the circle logo, or the black with squashed white letters scheme? You have any interest in Wabash or NKP?

George.

Hi. My first comments on The Gauge.....
You guys are far to "modern" for me with your wish lists. Mine would be for Mantua to reenter the MODEL railroad market, and stop selling their so-so locomotives from old tooling for insane prices. I model the 1880's and the Mantua General is (was) an excellent starting point for all manner of kit-bashed 4-4-0's and 4-6-0's. It sold in kit form in the 60's and 70's for (street price) $12 to $14 (US). They don't sell kits any more, and the RTR price is now nearing $200! They of course have "made up" for that by ruining the product with toy-train traction tires and closing the spaces between the driver spokes. (Makes them a lot cheaper to cast.)
I've enjoyed reading all your comments. Keep it up.....

George

Greetings Bill Stone, and welcome aboard the Gauge!

I agree with you about the prices and deteriorating quality in too many sectors of the hobby.

It has been said in other sites that this hobby as an industry is in decline. If that is so, what's killing it is the cost prohibitive shift in locomotive pricing. The kids, given a budget and a choice, are going to pick software and CD's rather than a high end Athearn, and forget it when it comes to a Rivarossi engine. I'm told that the mechanisms in the newer ones can't touch the original AHM motors. And look at the insane prices of the Walther's structures?

So Bill, what are you building or have built?

George.

Woodie

What I want but cant get? Australian cars, and a coupla kangaroos for my bush settings!

A 65 Chevy or a 72 Ford Mercury ain't really typical here!

TOOT!

Biggerhammer

A wider selection of livestock, preferably costing less than the prototype. I can get a prototype goose for very little money- the model actually looks like it'll cost more!

How about a 'lease-a-loco' program? Daddy Warbucks buys a nice rivarossi, live steam or brass loco that we mere mortals can't afford. One of us goes to his shop, plunks down a deposit and a reasonable fee, plus the guarantee to bring it back unpainted, undamaged. Take it home, weather and run it, bring it back in a month or so after removing the paint you've put on. Then you'd really know what to spend the second mortgage on instead of just drooling on the ads whenever a new MR magazine comes out.

George

Gee Biggerhammer, you just described how most people in the United States buy and resell brass after they've dropped it a few times and worn the motor out!
tongue.gif

Woodie, if Britains Models is still in existance (Is it, Shamus?) I remember they had a kangaroo in the 60's with their zoo animals, but it was probably in "S" scale. Well, you guys do have some pretty big roos down there, don't you? So, put it in front!

Hey Shamus, speaking of Britains Models, is Airfix still making those yellow plastic OO gauge people in a box with the constable? I heard that Airfix had gone out of business, but occasionally I still see some things from them in the stores. Perhaps it's old inventory.

George.

Sorry about that test post I spent 10 minutes typing & it would not post a bit ago. Anyway, here is one of the manfs. anrwering you products wanted post. As many of you may have guessed Pittman Crossing ( The Good Ones HI-Strength Cut Off Disk), is my operation.Recently I have had requests to carry a product that used to be available, but seems to have been dropped. I'm told the man who handled it died. The product was flat lead sheet , width of a passenger car X 10-12 inch long. about .032, .045, & .062 thick .Is there enough demand out there for this to be a viable product? I have found a source & will do if it looks like a good possibilty . How about it, whats the verdict guys? ----Dave

------------------
L V Dave

.....and it isn't even whether or not one can afford the insane prices, it's whether or not the products are worth the prices asked. I just, whenever possible, refuse to be ripped off.

In reply to George & Shamus: Been in HO since I was a kid (in the late 1940's) always, for some reason, modeling the 1870-1890 period, standard gauge. (My first loco was a Mantua Belle of the Eighties. And as fondly as I remember the old girl, she wasn't very well proportioned...) Have had three layouts, but none now. I plan to start a new one in about a year. About 9'x 18', walk-in, lots of yard/engine terminal, and lots of staging/fiddle tracks, but also provision for constant run. I am aware constant run is not politically correct, but enjoy it anyway, so that's what I'll have. I have room for a larger layout, but feel this is about as big as I want to tackle with the degree of detail I want to put into it.

I mostly kit bash and scratch build my locos and rolling stock, and must say that model BUILDING is at least 50% of my attraction to the hobby.

In reply to Dave Harris: I've been using brass for that purpose. I suppose lead would be a little easier to push and shove into place, but with the bad name that lead has, I'd probably stick to brass. In other words, don't enter this product line on MY account!

George

Dave Harris,

May I suggest that you post your enquiry as a separate topic on this board, as you are bound to triple the amount of feedback.
biggrin.gif

I have to echo Mr. Stone's comment on brass as a prefered element, despite the compact advantages of lead for providing optimum weight. I hope that you saw my comments on another site regarding small stubs to elevate the strip from the chassis, or providing a wiring well between the weight and car floor.

Another thought were you to abandon lead....Make a full brass interior. One piece floor and walls. Nothing elaborate to keep the price down and attractive to modellers. Something to ponder.

Bill,
How large do you plan your next layout to be?

George.

Shay2

An HO ....
Heisler
Dunkirk
Forney
Climax
All made by the Lion and with full sound just like the guy's in O scale have.

I wonder if MTH would consider anything in HO ??? Now wouldn't that make my neck of the woods a bit more interesting!

Rich

------------------
Rush Run River Logging Co.

George

An MTH sound system on an "HO" locomotive would be idyllic.

In step with an entry yesterday, how about "Super Elevated Curves in a Bag"? Pre cut strips of various curvatures to make super elevating curves faster.

George.