probs with Prodigy Advance

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Ok, heres my dilemma, I have an Prodigy Advance and cant get consists to work correctly. If I use Towerr55 engines solely, they won't go into advanced consist, only old type. If I use advanced consists, I end up resetting the unit I put in as the lead unit.
If I use any other decoders together, it won't work either. I have Lenz LE1000w's and NCE D13SRJ's in my other units. If I use solely NCE or Lenz as the consist it doesnt change.
It also has a problem releasing consists too.
Does anyone else have this type problem? Or is it just mine? I emailed support at MRC, all I got was a single question: "Have you tried this on the program track or just the main?". I've tried it both ways, and no difference.
I heard so much about this system, thats what influenced my desicion to buy it. Did I make a mistake?:curse:
If I have to, I'll sell it, and buy the system I had planned on getting to begin with. At least they claim to have better support.

CPR9100

Mar 12, 2006
I will this much MRC system is far the best from what I read about, I have the express
for testing only. I run my engines at club layout they have NCE system which I think is crap.
BECAUCE I can't run my MRC sound decoders on it.

First try and reset your decoders
and read your book carefully on making a consists

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Thoroughbreed, i have Prodigy Advance, and DO NOT have a problem with consists:thumb:. i have a Tower55, and am able to set up consist with it, and my other engines without fail:). my Tower55 has a Digitrax sound decoder in it, and my 2 Challengers and Big Boy have MRC sound decoders in them. the other 56 engines i have are equipped with either LokSound, QSI, or MRC's Brilliance sound decoders.

i am sorry to hear you are having consist problems, and i am puzzled as to what the problem could be:confused:. when i upgraded to Prodigy Advance, i had several questions about it, i find e-mails to be to impersonal, and not a great idea to use for solving problems. i called MRC's tech support and found them to be VERY helpful;). i am sorry to say though, for the life of me, i cant remember the name of the guy that helped me:eek:ops::(...it was over two years ago. if no one can help on here, i suggest a phone call, i think $5-10 for a phone call is a small price to pay for years of enjoyment:thumb:. just my thoughts;).

When you find out the problem, PLEASE post the fix, as i am curious to find out what the problem was:). :D -Deano

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Ok remedy based upon the following :
1) When you get your new Prodigy Advance or Express DCC system up and running for the first time you should clear you handheld, [cab], before running any locomotives. Due to factory testing there are “ghost” addresses in the display that may confuse the first time user.
Press and hold the “Delete” button until only one address remains in the display, [it has to show something].
Keep pressing your “Recall” button to make sure that address is the only one left.
At this time input one of your own addresses or Default Address #3, [used for checking new decoder installations or if you purchased a brand new loco with a factory equipped decoder that has never been programmed].
Unplug the cable from the bottom of your handheld.
“Svda” flashes briefly.
Now plug the cable back in and your handheld is now clear of the “ghost” addresses

My issue was that I was still seeing these ghost consists, even though they were gone. I deleted all locos except 2, I was experimenting with.:thumb:

2) once a consist is built, you call up the consist # as a loco number, not as a consist number. example consist # 010 is loco # 010
You can call up the individual locos to do acc functions, lighting, sound and so forth, but not to move.
I may have not understood this in the manual, as its only about 10 pages long, and the shortcuts on the back of handheld is even worse for trying to figure things out, but once you put it as an "idiots guide", its easier.sign1

I have the "tips and tricks guide" if anyone would like a copy of it, just pm me.:thumb:

Thoroughbreed

Aug 4, 2006
South Eastern AL
Other than the issues with the consists, it works great. Now that issue is taken care of, will be no problem. My tower55 units work awesome with it. I will get 1~2 boosters for it when my layout is complete.:thumb: