Problems With A GP9

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
Hello Guys
I have been having some troubles with my Bachmann GP9. It does not have the pulling power that i want it to. I can't pull no more than 8 cars up a 1-1/2% percent grade. I have had the train for about 2 years and can't figure it out. In order for it to pull cars up the 1-1/2% percent grade i have to lash it up with another engine. Can anyone help me out?

Russ Bellinis

What sort of Bachmann gp9. Is it a "Spectrum" quality model, or a train set loco? If it is a train set loco, it probably won't pull much. Just repower it with a "blue box" Athearn chassis.

Russ Bellinis

If it has a scale width hood, you should be able to pick up a "wide hood" Athearn blue box cheap. "Bash" the body to get rid of the typical "toothless grin" at the pilot, and install the body on the Athearn. VOILA! Cheap scale width hood gp9.

pdt

Any chance you could post a photo of the locomotive? I've never seen a Bachmann GP9 before, so I'm curious what could be done to repower it.

Bachmann traditionally had pretty good detail on their locomotives, once you removed the heavy paint, and made a good starting point for kitbashing. But their drive mechanisms always left much to be desired, IMHO.