Problems accessing the Gauge pages

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Are any of you having problems accessing the Gauge or moving from page to page? I've had more "time-outs" or The server at www.the-gauge.com is taking too long to respond. error mesages when trying to access the main page, or when trying to view threads. Just checking to see if the problems are universal or just with my ISP.:confused:

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
No trouble here, Don, and you know how it seems to find me. I was on the Gauge last night, along with a couple of other sites, and found things everywhere to be very slow, but I just put it down to my steam-powered computer and excess traffic online.

Wayne

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Well, I'm still having problems. Sometimes I get to the main page and can't get to any others. Sometimes I time out waiting for the main page. I've posted a few messages, but again, sometimes I time out waiting for the page to refresh after uploading the post. :rolleyes:

If it's on this end, I'm just going have to wait it out. Uh, don't expect a photo contest vote or a new contest until this settles down. :cry:

Steam powered eh, well, I've upgraded to a diesel powered computer, but it's still screwing up...:D :D

kmorris

Oct 14, 2005
Working fine for me.

If you do a tracert you can find where the bottleneck is.

go to a DOS prompt (or Start/Run then enter cmd.exe)
the at the prompt type:

tracert the-gauge.com

This will tell you how long it takes to go from place to place while it tries to connect to the site.

Hope that helps.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thanks Kevin.:thumb: Right now things are working normally. Earlier I had more time-outs than not.:rolleyes: I have a feeling that since it didn't affect everybody, that it might have been a router somewhere between my ISP and the Gauge server. Yesterday I sen't myself a message from another computer about 10 miles away but on a differerent network and it took an hour and a half for it to get here.:confused:

I'll hang on to this to see if I can't trace the problem the next time this happens.:wave:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Don, even halfway around the globe I don't have any problems here. Hope you can sort out the bottleneck soon - must be frustrating for an administrator not to be able to get into the pages which you should administrate... :curse::curse::curse:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - but sometimes the gremlins of the net are just a little bit too effective for us normal mortals! :D:D:D (I know this effect from the administration of an Unix system... :( )

Ron

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
RailRon said:
Don, even halfway around the globe I don't have any problems here. Hope you can sort out the bottleneck soon - must be frustrating for an administrator not to be able to get into the pages which you should administrate... :curse::curse::curse:

Ron
Geeze - that's embarrasing :eek:ops: half way around the world eh??

Just between you & me - I was wondering how come it was so quiet in here today bounce7

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
RailRon said:

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you - but sometimes the gremlins of the net are just a little bit too effective for us normal mortals! :D:D:D (I know this effect from the administration of an Unix system... :( )

Ron
This just means that I have to work twice as hard tomorrow while Mikey kicks back a bit. sign1 sign1 sign1

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Yes Don, I was having problems as well. If I could get the home page to open up, I usually could not get to anything else. It finally got so bad that even the home page would not open up. This started sometime this morning and now that it is later afternoon, it seems things are back to normal. Everything else on my system has been working fine. Only this one site has been giving me guff.

EDIT: 5 oclock and it's mostly back to normal but sometimes still flaky. Again, only this site. At least I can post again.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
Yes Don, I was having problems as well. If I could get the home page to open up, I usually could not get to anything else. It finally got so bad that even the home page would not open up. This started sometime this morning and now that it is later afternoon, it seems things are back to normal. Everything else on my system has been working fine. Only this one site has been giving me guff.

EDIT: 5 oclock and it's mostly back to normal but sometimes still flaky. Again, only this site. At least I can post again.
Tom,

Are you by any chance on Cox cable? It sounds like a teritorial problem. I seem to be back to normal as well, just a few minutes after you.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
ezdays said:
Tom,

Are you by any chance on Cox cable? It sounds like a teritorial problem. I seem to be back to normal as well, just a few minutes after you.

Yep, I'm on Cox. I don't understand why it is only this one site though. Oh well, go figure.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
TrainNut said:
Yep, I'm on Cox. I don't understand why it is only this one site though. Oh well, go figure.
Yeah, it was pretty weird, but I've had things like this happen before and I've blamed the Gauge server. Sometimes it was, but not this time. Maybe there were a half-million other sites that were affected but neither of us went to any of those so we would never know.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: