Pro-model Nowgorod build pics

Bikerpete

Feb 27, 2005
Calgary
Hey ho,

Just posted a couple of pics in my gallery of the Pro-model Nowgord model I'm working on. I'll post more pictures as the build progresses.

larrymax

Jan 17, 2004
Corona, CA
home.aaris.net
Hey BugBrains!

Nice job on the hull! Just had a look at your pics in the gallery. I, too, found it necessary to use putty to fill up imperfections in the hull on Cleopatra. Paper, it seems, just has a hard time maintaining nice lines between bulkheads and you end up with the "starving dog" effect! I've always been intrigued by the Nowgorod! She's just such a bizzare concept, but a cool looking ship! Looking forward to watching you bring her together. Nice job on the cannons, too, by the way! We'll let you slide (this time!) for making them of aluminum, since you turned them yourself! Just don't let it happen again! :D just kidding, of course! funny thing about building a model....It's YOUR model, and you can do whatever the heck you WANT to do! :D Again, nice job...keep it up..

P.S. what is your real name? Calling you BugBrains just seems a little disrespectfull....I don't even know you!

Max
Captain, HMS Cleopatra
Paper Navy of the Bear Flag Republic

Bikerpete

Feb 27, 2005
Calgary
Larry,

Hi Larry ,

Thanx for the comments. I'm really trying to stick to just paper but I'm so used to plastic, wood and metal construction that I tend to drift. I got into paper models to learn new techniques and to play with making parts from patterns. The paper kits provide the patterns...I build the parts and that's good by me. So far I'm having a great time :D

My real name is Pete, Bugbrains is my biker name ... it came about because my motorbike windshield is usually covered in dead BUGS and I sometimes get a little nerdy (Brains). :lol:

Nice work on the Cleopatra model...that is a real challenge and you are building it really really well :!: Hard to believe it is being made from paper and card-stock.

Pete (Bugbrains) Berghs

Bikerpete

Feb 27, 2005
Calgary
Bikes

Hi Josh,

Mostly I tour around the back country on a 2001 Kawasaki KLR-650 dual-sport bike. It gets washed once a year whether it needs it or not. :shock: There are some really nice forestry roads and trails in the BC mountains that are perfect for getting away from civilization for awhile. Best trip I've had on the bike was down to the canyonlands around Moab Utah. Gorgeous country! Mexico is also neat on a bike.

Last year I found a nice used Yamaha 600R for trips involving pavement only. And I still have an older 82 Honda Magna cruiser (ex- girlfriends main ride) that I roll out when I feel old-and-slow, or when I can't get away for a long trip.

Those are the bikes that are running...there are three or maybe two and a half old motocross bikes in the garage in pieces waiting for parts and/or restoration work to get back on the trails. :roll:

Do you ride? If so what?

PB

JRSeese

Feb 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
No.... at least not.... yet....

I got a computer related job with Harley-Davidson almost four years ago, and in those four years I have gone from zero interest to being completely sucked into the dream. I was one of the lucky ones who made it to Milwaukee last summer for the hundredth, *WOW*

Your trips sound like a slice of heaven to me. I could use that kind of getaway... getting lost on purpose would suit me just fine right about now. Oh well, at least I've got my models to keep me sane! (...struggling to drag the thread back on track)

I would get me a sportster if I had the money...

Well, that and the fact that both my wife and mother won't let me :roll:

Maybe when my kiddies are older. I can hardly wait for my midlife crisis!! LOL

JRSeese

Feb 8, 2004
Cleveland, OH
...err, ahem! ahem!!

So, about that model you have there - it is quite unique. How did you manage the complex curvature? For instance, how many pieces actually are joined to form the equator of the hull?

Josh :wink:

Bikerpete

Feb 27, 2005
Calgary
Bike then back to models

Hey Josh,

Working for HD! Man, that would be great! :D If I had the money there would be a Softail Duece or Springer in the garage next to the KLR. 8) I found out about card-modeling through a motorcycle web-site link to the Yamaha R1 model, I have it downloaded but not printed out. How's that for a bridge back to modeling?

Anyway, the hull sheathing is made from 24 pieces of tapered paper applied to a heavy cardstock skeleton made of 7 pieces. The paper went on well and did not look too bad but I decided to smooth out the shape using Tamiya putty and filler primer. The keels are made of styrene strip left over from my model railroading days. The results are o.k. but I think I get carried away sometimes. No wonder I never get anything finished! :cry:

Another list member is building this model too, he is a lot further along than I am and doing a great job. If there are others with this model we should organize an informal group build. LOL :D

PB