printing removal

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by pawmaw, Dec 9, 2003.

1. pawmaw

pawmaw New Member

I have a Accurail covered hopper in pure white plastic.
    Has the word "Englehard" in large blue letters on each side.
    I want to remove this printing and leave the car number and etc. intact Does anybody have any experience they will share with me on removing this word?
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

Sometimes you can use a little denatured alcohol, brake fluid, or some Scalecoat Rinse Away just painted on the letters you want to remove. I think Accurail casts their cars in the main body color, and then uses pad printing to put on numbers. I recently stripped the paint off of an Athearn bay window caboose, and found that the lettering seemed to be the last thing I could get to come off! I would try various compounds commonly used for stripping paint from plastic and see what works. The main thing is to just paint it on those letter you want to remove, being careful not to get your chemicals on anything you don't want disturbed. Sometimes Microsol, decal setting solution will disolve letter as well.
  3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

I've used Solvaset. Apply to lettering you want to remove and let sit 15 minutes or so. Then rub the lettering with a pencil erasure.
  4. jwmurrayjr

jwmurrayjr Member

I've had good luck removing heralds and markings with a white gum art eraser. No solvents except a little water.