printing question

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Nothing, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

im sure its here in the forum somewhere but i gave up digging through the threads.

what is the best way to print A4 sized models on US standard paper, possibly maintaining scale?
  2. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I have been using PhotoShop for enlarging models by halfing the DPI and that makes the model twice the size if you use the same size image. I would imagine if you used the same DPI (check the properties of the A-4 document) and changed the size of the image from A4 to standard U.S. (8.5 by 11) and kept the DPI the same and just copied and pasted you would end up with the same size parts. I could be completely wrong however. Experiment.
  3. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

You could print on legal size paper and don't resize. It will fit just fine.
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Oh man! That is painfully obvious! Must be why I never thought of it :)

I wonder where I can get legal sized cardstock.... :D
  5. shrike

shrike Guest

Any decent office supply store. I get mine at Staples. In fact I've taken to printing all my stuff on the legal because I prefer the surface finish.
  6. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

thats nice to know about the legal card,but lets say for arguements sake,i cant afford at the moment to buy any,is there a way to print to US standard without a disparity in part sizes?
  7. romfolmar

romfolmar New Member

Sometimes if the border is large enough you can print A4 onto letter and it won't cut the top or bottom off. You can try and see what happens
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

This works most of the time if printing from a pdf. Use the graphics select tool and draw the box around the parts, keeping the box perimeter as close to the parts as possible. Then print selected graphics in the print dialogue.

If printing from a .jpg or .gif or .bmp or some other picture format try opening the picture in a graphics editing program then select each part on the page individually and try to move them in from the margins. Use the freehand selection mode if needed. It will get crowded, but you might be able to fit all of the parts on the page within the differing margins presented by A4 and US Letter paper. Moving the parts on the page should not affect the size of the parts. :)