Printing on coloured paper

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Arjun, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Arjun

Arjun Member

Dear modellers,

My printer ink cartridge is running short of ink, when I was printing several pics in the recent past, so I haven't got down to modelling anything recently. Then, I printed a layout of a Ferrari F50 on white paper and found the paint fading very quickly- the scarlet red turned into pale pink! Worse, when I was printing the Bridgestone tyres, I found some awful pink streak marks on the print (at best quality). This has got me thinking- why not print on coloured paper to make my task a lot easier? I'd like to know how I can do it, and save what I've printed, of a lighter colour, on a darker-coloured paper, from fading. I'd like to use my HP printer (then running on refilled introductory cartridges) to make more paper models!

What do you suggest? This is the scene:
    1. I print my models with my own printer- HP Deskjet 2360
    2. I have been using a refilled (twice) colour cartridge and a fresh black cartridge.
    3. I print on Best quality.
    4. I print on card paper of varying glossiness- the less glossy holds the ink a lot longer.
    5. The last model I tried to print was a Ferrari F50- so I may need to print a yellow-and-black logo on red paper.
    Tell me I don't need to photo-print it...
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I use normal printing paper, with no gloss at all... The printing setting is at "text" and I'm satisfied with the result. The ink holds and doesn't degrade (for 3 years at least)
  3. Arjun

Arjun Member

I'm trying to print as little colour as possible, so that I stay with the colour of my choice and also save cartridge ink. That's why I am thinking of using coloured paper once I get a full cartridge. Some of you may have done it before, so I'd like to know how it's done.
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

Arjun, I doubt there is an easy answer to your question. The biggest problem I see is that the color of the paper used will have an affect on the final as-printed image color. The final color is going to be a mix of the base color (paper color) and the applied ink color. How much effect is going to depend on the opacity of the applied ink, the degree to which the applied ink physically interacts with the dye on the paper, etc. You are also going to have to do a lot of work in your favorite image editing software before printing. In short, to save any ink, the appropriate image color will have to be set to the background color. In essence, you will have to "remove" the color of the paper from the electronic image file. How easy this step is will be affected by the file type of your image. It will be a lot simpler to accomplish if the original files are in vector format rather than bitmap. The best hope you have for success is if you can get by with just printing the outlines on the colored paper (in other words, be able to create a black-and-white version of the image files). Warships (at least those without camoflage paint schemes), "simple" architectural models, and automobiles are likely best suited for this process for saving ink....however, racing vehicles, which have lots of colored designs applied to the base color of the part, are going to be a problem. One thing that could be tried is to make a set of "decal" parts printed out on white bond paper that will be cut out and pasted onto the model skin panels. My experience is that, unless you enjoy the redrawing process for its own sake, whatever small amount of cash saved in ink cost just isn't worth the hassle of the image preparation.
  5. Arjun

Arjun Member

Luckily, I have also got outline versions of the layout, saved separately, as a backup. I used the decal example (similar to retail plastic scale models) for my earlier models, but I don't want the decals to swell- maybe the small size helps.

I am aware of the requirements for racing vehicle prints, but I wish to cut down on excess use of one colour during prints of most other vehicles, such as the ones you mentioned.

So that takes care of re-colouring and the texture pattern. The issue left is that of printing, as also how glossy the paper is.
  6. Paragon

Paragon Active Member

I don't know how to really solve the fading problem, but with HP printers I would suggest using "Fast normal" or "Normal" printing modes instead of "Best", I find the results are so similar you can almost not tell a difference, and it saves ink.

I would however, suggest using something on top of the ink. I've found that hairspray works pretty well as a sealer, but you could always go with actual sealers. Make sure they are NOT water soluble, obviously.
  7. john wagenseil

john wagenseil New Member

printing wwi airplane models on cream paper gives a "linen" undercoat color. I have also printed models on light grey card stock which makes the uncolored edges less noticible and only slightly dims the color. Fiddlers Green releases someof its models in color and Black and White Versions. The black and white versions are really grey scale. I have build a few of the B and W versions and painted them with watercolors to get the old time hand drawn paper model look. The same effect could be had with other colors models by printing them on the B and W setting or converting the images to grey scale with your Paint software. Build the model as shaded black and white and then paint it yourself. With a little care you will end up with a unique model with an old timey painted look.
  8. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

Arjun -

Streaky, fading, low-quality prints? Going only by your short description, my number one suspect would be:
    Re-filled ... with what? HP ink? If not, that's the first thing I'd try changing.

Good luck! :)
  9. Shin_kazama

Shin_kazama Member

i dont have pc or printer at home,but local inernet shops with endless ink supply printers would be happy to print for you at a small price.

just remember to ask them to print with 100% zoom ratio.....

also if you want stuff blown up, you can have it printed on A3.
  10. HP print heads are good for one refill at best. Then they get plugged and you get the streaks you experienced. As for the fading try sealing it with UV acrylic sealer. That should keep that from happening. I printed a couple model for a friend using my HP and now ione has hardly has any color left at all he sealed the other and it looks fine. I had the same issues with my HP which are notorious for fading so I got rid of it and bought a Canon. It uses dye based inks which print truer to color and I have not experienced the fading even wthout the sealer. It also uses pigmented ink for printing text which is cheaper. It has a separate print head which last forever practically. If it does need replacing you just pop it out and put in a new one.