Printing from Acrobat: Does It Suck?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by k5083, Nov 20, 2005.

1. k5083

k5083 Member

Has anyone else noticed that a card model printed from Acrobat is much duller and darker than one printed from graphic software?

I noticed this tonight when I had done a partial repaint of a pdf-distributed model and printed out the parts from the graphic software. They were much brighter and more vibrant than my printout of the original model, so much so that they were too mismatched to combine.

As a test, I printed the original model in Acrobat, then loaded the pdfs into Photoshop and immediately printed them with the same settings and cardstock. Same result -- the Acrobat printout looked dull and dark.

Is this just my system, or have others experienced it? I'm definitely converting all my Marek, Zarkov, and FG models to graphics before printing them unless I get this sorted out. Maybe there is some "ugly print" switch in Acrobat that I have turned on by mistake.

Some of you folks might want to try this, just to see if you get a difference.

2. dimas Karabas

dimas Karabas Member

You are right, I only print my models in Photoshop, the Adobe is not a graphic sofware, it is a document software as far as I understand.
    I recently tried printing Marek's Renault-Caudron in Acrobate becuse my Photoshop was down, and the colors were very different from the original paint.
    When I finally printed it in photoshop, they looked muche nicer!
  3. Kaz

Kaz Member

Printing from acrobat

Thanks for this tip
  4. rkelterer

rkelterer Member

after spoiling 4 pages i used an old acrobat 5.0 instead of the newest one (7.?) to get appropriate colors :?. so do not delete old acrobat readers.

greetings from austria
  5. pvfly

pvfly New Member

Printing from PDF

I downloaded Trotskiy's "Storch". No problem.

It wants to print out at 11.67" x16.5".

I do not have a wide format printer, can some one
    advise me as to how to resize the file, so I can print
    it out on Letter or Legal size stock??

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

I assume you are printing from Adobe Acrobat. When the printer dialog box comes up, try setting the page scaling dropdown to "reduce to fit printer margin." If that doesn't work, try the "fit to printer margin" setting. :wink: If neither of those works, pick the "multiple pages per sheet" setting, tape the pages together, and make a really big Trotskiy model.
  7. pvfly

pvfly New Member

Printing from Acrobat

Thank you.
    All is well.My stupid pill stopped working.
    Fit to page did the trick.
  8. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Just a tip...

For those of us without Photoshop...I use PDF995 software to extract pdf docs and convert into jpg, this enables me to resize,edit,repaint, etc. HOWEVER the file size changes enormously.The software is free (nag screen until you purchase a key).