Printing enlarged jpeg

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by rockpaperscissor, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Greetings all! I have the jpeg files for Lara Croft (about 90-95% built, new thread eventually), but she is a little small as is. I'd like to build a larger version. I plan on using Photoshop to enlarge the parts by about 50%. Does anyone know what the affects might be on the resolution? My crappy old printer makes things fuzzy enough without any help from me! Would it be advisable to "sharpen" each file after enlargement, or would that make matters worse? I'm far from a Photoshop expert, so forgive me if this is a less than brilliant question.
  2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Best to enlarge, print, and use your eyeballs!
    If the printing is acceptable to you, HAPPY!
  3. charliec

charliec Active Member

You'll probably find that enlarging a jpeg will introduce artifacts in the image - this is a consequence of jpeg being a lossy compression format. You may get better results by converting your small jpeg to a .tiff and enlarging that. You may get a fairly rough enlarged image but you won't have artifacts. Sharpening
    will help but probably not as much as you would expect or like.

4. Kaz

Kaz Member

I cant see that converting a lossy format to a different one, will bring back any 'lost' information.
    Any conversion will bring about errors and converting from one, to another, will excaerbate any artifacts, before you even enlarge it.
    I would suggest that enlarging from your original (be it .jpg or whatever) will get you the best result.
    Sharpening will only make the pixels more jagged. It looks fine on the PC screen, but worse as a printed image
  5. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

converting will not bring it back but will make it easier to edit by hand.
  6. charliec

charliec Active Member

I'll withdraw my suggestion.

I played around with a couple of jpegs with Irfanview and although the conversion to .tif does reduce the generation of artifacts a little on enlargement
    it's not enough to warrant conversion.

How about converting the .jpeg to vector - you can rescale without any problems. There are lots of tools which claim to do this -

7. rmks2000

rmks2000 Member

I didn't realize that there were raster-vector conversion programs. Definitely useful when designing models!
  8. Erik J

Erik J Member

resizing bitmap files

If the original file is low quality and at 100dpi, for example, I have 'resized' in Paint Shop Pro to 300dpi. It is also important to note down the original image size and insure the size stays the same. A straight resize to 300dpi results in an image 1/3rd the original. Also adjusting image size results in an identical image at the same size but higher resolution. Neat, huh? You can now draw thinner and sharper lines and replace blotchy areas with more precision and cleaner colors. Is it worth the effort? Only you can answer that.

If the image is really bad, the best I can do to end up with a decent kit is to trace every line with a color not found in the image, like fucia or lavender, and then erase every color but that one. Next, color in the areas with colors of choice, and finally, replace the lavender with black. It is a LOT of work, and I have had some success, but some images are beyond all hope. If you get good at doing this, you are probably good enough to design and paint your own kits!

As they say, "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear".

Hope this helps a little.