Printing by laserjet?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Lex, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Hi all, I've been wondering for a while how could you use laser prints for cardmodeling. Every time I try I end up with flakes of toner falling off wherever I cut, leaving visible white edges. Is there a way to prevent this from happening?
  2. josve

josve Active Member

Thats my experience I stopped using scans of my kits.I just builds right out of the kits now.
    It might help to cover the sheet with a varnish or something before scoring and folding...
    I guess there are others here that build out of scans that can help.
  3. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

It's the paper or cardstock. The ink from the laserjet is not bonding with it. All my laser prints come out find and IMO better than the preprinted kits.
  4. When using laserjet printed parts I always apply a coat of clear finish, usually one of the Krylons in either matte or satin normally. Although for something like a mid 1930s USN aircraft a gloss coat might be appropriate. The clear coat seems to soak through the toner and bond it to the cardstock. But then I always one type of card stock. Wausua 65# Bright White. But even heavy creasing will cause flaking at times. The main issue is that laser printing is applied on the surface while ink jet will penetrate into the stock. But the laser printing will maintain its color much better

Krylon | Krylon® Matte Finish

Wausau Paper: Printing & Writing Retail Products: Products
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks guys. --Looks like I'll have to stick with inkjets...................................
  6. maltedfalcon

maltedfalcon New Member

flaky toner

This means basically your fuser is not getting hot enough and/or you are using toner that is not fine enought ( a problem with some of the cheaper toners)

I go to a print shop locally that has a color laser printer that can print at 2400dpi. I have never had a problem with the color flaking off
    where I did run into a problem was, when I designed a model, I used to know at what level I could stop adding detail because it would just blur out on the final printing....
    For instance on one model there was a sign on one of the walls of my building.
    I knew that the lettering on the model woudn't show so I got "smart" and left a slightly off color message there.
    It just blurred into illegibility on all my test prints and looked really good.
    Took it in for final printing and there it was totally legible. You had to read it with a magnifying glass, but ... I ended up having to have those reprinted....

Seems every time I go into this shop they are having that printer upgraded.
    One of these days I want to do a model that tests its limits.

Pretty much all of the models from PMI are laser printed and I havent ever heard of anybody having a similar problem as that.
  7. cbg

cbg Member

My experience with laser printers has been positive as well. It comes down to good toner and fuser and good paper as well as proper settings for output (thick paper/slower speed, etc.).

I found flaking to be an issue only when parts were repeatedly and tightly folded or creased and this was easily fixed with minor touch-ups. Most of my models came off a laser printer.

If you build 1/50 scale or larger you should have NO issues with a good laser image setter.

8. The Hermit

The Hermit Member

i have also as well had nothing but positive experience from the large canon color laser pritners at work and i use them exclusively now..

also i use a clear mat sealer after printing and have never had a issue cutting or scoring...

dont rule out color laser printers just yet!

best try the higher end printers before you stop

the quality is just sooo much better

9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks! Will do that once I have budget.........