Printing A4 PDF file on Letter size paper ?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Biased turkey, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Hi, I'm new to the Card Models subforum, it looks like people here are as much as friendly as on the model railroad subforum. Good thing.

I want to start my 1srt card model project. I downloaded the free sample ( a freight depot ) from Their printing tips section mentions that Scalescenes. com kits have been designed to fit on to A4 (210x297mm) size paper. Unfortunately I can't find any A4 paper here in Canada, only the regular letter size ( 8.5 ' by 11' ).
    When setting the printer parameters do I have to specify the A4 size even if the size of the paper that's in the printer has the 8.5' by 11' size ?
    I'm confused
    Tia for any help.
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

A4 size paper is not a whole lot different than our 8.5 x 11
    A4 is approximately 8.25 x11.75
    The problem with printing models designed to be printed on A4 is that sometimes the model parts will run right off the page.
    You can tell your printer to "fit to page" if this is an issue.
    You will likely reduce the scale by a few percent when doing that but it should not be very noticeable.

Another thing that you can do is tell the software to print at 100% and then do a print preview to see if the parts run off the page or not.
    Another way to preserve the ink and more expensive card stock is to print a fast economical print on copy paper to see if all the parts are on the page and/or within the borders.

Most designers design the layout to be printed on either type of paper though so most of them can just be printed straight out at 100%.

Hope this helps you out some and I know you are going to be addicted here shortly so, welcome to the fold!:twisted:

3. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Sometimes if you use the Graphics Select Tool and enclose the parts in the box, then choose Print Selected Graphic in the print dialogue the page will print without changing the scale or cutting off parts. Make sure you put the dashed outline of the selection box as close to the edge of all of the parts as you can. It does not always work, though, so keep a close watch. :)
  4. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

here is a sneaky trick that I have use with good success. Cut a strip of card stock ~ 8.5 x .75-1.00 inch and attach to the BOTTOM of your 8.5 x 11 card stock with removable tape. Removable tape has the same adhesive as post-it notes and can be found in office supply outlets. Set printer to A4 paper, no scaling and uncheck 'auto rotate & center'. Feed the paper into the printer with the add-on strip last and the tape side AWAY from the printed side. This should give you what you were looking for, provided the file was set up for A4 in the first place. You still might have to rotate the page 180 degrees but this can be done in Photoshop or equal. Hope this helps.
    Fred Z.
  5. joek2

joek2 New Member

download ghostview..

and convert the pdf pages to jpegs, than use a graphics program to rearrange the pieces to fit on letter size stock
  6. Biased turkey

Biased turkey Active Member

Thanks to all the nice members of the Card Models forum who took some of their time to reply.
    My case is simple because none of the parts is located close to the edges of the sheet. So I think I shouldn't have any problem printing at 100% on a letter size sheet.
    One details that puzzles me is that free sample is designed to fit on an A4 paper size, but after downloading that sample pdf document the properties says it is a letter size . Go figure.
  7. rowiac

rowiac Member

This may be an obvious point, but it's sometimes overlooked. Whatever method you use to print an A4 PDF onto US-Letter paper, make sure that the printing scale is the same on ALL of the sheets if it's a multiple page model.