Printer questions

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by airbob, Mar 11, 2007.

1. airbob

airbob Member

My son just "killed" my Epsonstylus Photo R800:( I need something to replace it...I think that these printers with all these inkwells -this has 5 different colors, 2 blacks... matte and photo black and clearcoat...a total of 8.....this thing "cloggs up" if not used in 1-2 weeks and then you use tons of ink to clean it...I think this and the Canon S9000...also with multiple inkwells and these "microheads" for the inkjets are a real pain....too much cleaning....I'm beginning to feel that something a little less complicated would be far more more reliable and easier to use....O paper model gurus' please help me!...what's good lately say in the range of $145-$ ain't the problem....I just want something that is good at details, easy to use and is reliable!!! (Is this guy "NUTS" or what....what DOESN"T he want!!!) HELP!:? :? :? ...Bob out...
  2. Texman

Texman Guest

Well Bob,

My old Lexmark Z55 finally gave up (it was a really good printer), so I invested in an HP Photosmart 8250, and haven't looked back. I simply love it. No clogs, an ink recycle cleaning system, takes anything I
    throw at it. Six ink color. The only thing I might say bad, is the paper feed is not a straight through feed,
    which in the beginning gave me a couple of fits trying to figure out which way to feed it through to print
    the next pages of my models.

Hope this gives some insight

3. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

i would also recommend an HP. i have an older PSC 750xi that works great after 3 plus years. i bought a lexmark for my dad and it cratered in less than a year. no way to fix it. the lexmark people told him they would not provide service or support for it. apparently they do not stand behind all their products. DON'T MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE....
  4. Darwin

Darwin Member

I've been reasonably happy with my Epson 820...the head clogging is a pain, but since I spend so much time cleaning (knowing the damned thing is gonna clog anyway), buying generic ink cartridges at $3 a pop keeps cost in line. That said, I would agree that HPs are about the best buys in the current crop of printers. If money isn't the object, see if you can find a factory refurbished wide carriage type that prints out 11 by 17 pages. I found one through one of the internet discount stores for about $250, and am quite happy with it. However, because of comparative cost of the ink carts, only use it for the large size printouts.
  5. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I just replaced my Epson CX4600. It was always clogging and the cleaning routine wasted incredible amounts of ink. I replaced it with a HP 3180 all-in-one. It has two ink cartridges, one black, one colour. Replacing all the ink costs about half that of the Epson. Print quality is great however, it prints a little slower than the Epson at higher resolutions. I'm pretty happy with it so far.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I had 2 Epsons and one lexmark. I hated the lexmark, the epsons were great until the clogging fiascos, now I use a canon pixma 4000. Separte cartridges, 2 blacks very good on ink, many generics out there for it. Has straight thru feed and an option for a cassette to feed for both side printing. All for @ 100.00 give or take. It prints only though, no other bells and whistles.
  7. Grizz

Grizz Member

Hi gus,

Replaced my Epson with a Canon ip4300. It has dual paper feeds, normal feed and a cartridge so I can have plain paper and card at the same time. I find the inks on normal settings to be very impressive and economical. The only thing I am less pleased with is that it has trouble with stock over about 190gsm.
  8. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I have Epson R200 with 5 colour carts and one black cart. I have had no problems with it and quality is good. I have never had any problems with clogging print heads with this model.
  9. charliec

charliec Active Member

I've had a Canon i560 for a couple of years - simple, cheap to run (refill my cartridges) and idiot proof (has to be in my case). I think the i560 is out of production but the newer models seem to have a good reputation.

Had an old Epson previously - hated it - clogged heads, expensive cartridges, etc.

10. Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett

Carl (Surfduke) Hewlett Active Member

11. rowiac

rowiac Member

At home, I replaced my constantly clogging Epson photo printer with a Canon photo printer a couple of years ago, and have had no more clogging problems.

I have an HP PhotoSmart at work, and it sits for weeks unused and works well without any messing around when I need it.

Based on my experience, I would recommend Canon or HP.

12. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I gotta go against the crowd, because I like my Epson printers. I have a 5200 all-in-one (clogged, but thanks to y'all, I know how to fix it). I pretty much just use it as a scanner/fax now.

My daily printer is an R200. The main reason I like it is the direct to CD printing (I burn a lot of CDs). It has sat for long periods with no clogging issues, and the 6 ink cartridges last quite a while. I just saw it's younger brother (R280) in the paper for under $100.00

Neither is anywhere near a "pro" printer, but I like all the gadgets built in, and the price...
  13. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I had an HP1220 for a few years that gave its last puff o ink two months ago.
    Things I loved about it - good quality printing, handling 11x17 paper, fairly cheap OEM cartridges.
    Things I started to hate about it after about two years - problems handling cardstock, will grab the sheet and the drop it in the middle of printing, or will not grab it but start printing anyway....

Now I bought Epson R220 plus continous ink system..
    What I love - CHEAP!!!!! cost me $79 comparing to $450 for HP, 6 inks system so I don't throw ink away, straight path for paper - no more problems printing on cardstock, much better colors.
    What I don't like - nothing so far.
    Ok, it only takes Letter/A4 paper but I didn't really use the 11x17 on HP either...
  14. papertrain

papertrain Member

i have 4 HP's that i use including a 13 x 19....i have never had trouble with any of them and they always give good renditions. I do a lot of photography and use them to make prints for that and never have a complaint....each one uses 2 cartridges 3 of them use the same ones,,,
  15. bluedragon

bluedragon New Member

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Cannon i475D............... ink cost me oh...... about $1.50 per cartridge..........generic but they work and I buy in bulk.

Only has two cartridges, but these prices I don't mind toss some ink away:grin:
  17. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

Thats weird, ink costs me 60$ a cartridge, I just refill them with a hypodermic needle and this big jug of ink I have though.
  18. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Airbob, in my opinion you will never get a straight answer on this subject. Some people like epson, some like Hp etc. I don't think anyone really like's lexmark. Also some like injet and some like laser.

Go into you local computer superstore, look for the printer you can afford to buy and ask for samples from other makes aswell. Then tell the guy you will think about which one you what. Then find the same printer on the internet and order it from a safe internet store or even ebay, as shops sell new printers on there.

As with all items in computing try to buy the most expensive one you can afford. It's no good buying a printer for $/£/€ 30 and finding out in 3 months that the cartridges are more expensive than the printer.
  19. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Paul is absolutely right. You'll never get a definitive "this is the best printer ever" answer. Everyone has their opinion based on experience, heresay, budget, etc.

My suggestion, sort of like Paul's, is go to the store and look around some. I prefer a true computer store (CompUSA, MicroCenter, etc) to a superstore, though.

Also, read reviews at all the sales sites. BestBuy (I wouldn't recommend buying from them, but they have a great site for researching products), Amazon, epinions, etc.....

ANd, whichever printer you get, plan on it being absolete before you even open the box... ;)
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

True................ but like folks have said.............. stay away from lexmark,

Epson are good IF you use them all the time.

HP are good just the cost of operation can be a bit steep

Canon are good....... but do have their limitations.

I chose Canon because of the good print quality, and the price of the supplies(INK)

I also have Xerox M750 & Xerox M760, these also do a very good job on printing and with the separate color cartridges you only replace a cartridge when you run out. But they also suffer from the Epson clogging condition if not used on a weekly bases. One reason why I switched to the Canon.

As suggested go look at the stores, compare features, paper path, ink cartridge prices.............. speed is really not a big thing........... unless you just don't have patients. But really most all printers have to print slower to get a better quality print, so it's really up to you.

Again............ I would stay away from lexmark and go with your gut feeling on the others. You really can't do too bad with those choices. So long as you stay with the newest model you can afford.

All of the printers I have are no longer produced.............. and it seems the older your printed is the more expensive the cartridges are...........harder to find also.