Printer issue

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by BARX2, Jan 7, 2007.

1. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I have a wireless network at home. I have two printers attached to two different computers. I can print to or manage the Lexmark printer from my laptop. However, with the Epson printer I can print, but it's slow. If I open the printer program it says "Searching...", then I get an error message that says "Communication error". Could it have anything to do with the USB cable between the computer and the printer? It's a thin, cheap USB cable. Could this problem be solved with a better USB cable?
  2. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Could be any number of things, but the cable is a good place to start. How long is the cable? The shorter, the better (within reason). Also make sure that it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port vs. a USB 1.0 port. (Generally not an issue on more recent computers, but worth mentioning).

Also, are you trying to print to the Epson from the laptop, or the main computer it's hooked to? If the laptop, you can expect it to be slow as it's sending the command over the wireless network, which will definately be slower than a hard cable connection. If that's the case (printing from the laptop) changing the cable really won't help. For best speed, you need a direct connection between the computer you want to print from and the printer. Wireless is a great convenience, but a hard line connection is always best! :-D

Hope that helps!