Printer Help

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by Ron Caudillo, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Hi all,
    I don't know if this is the proper forum, please forgive me if it is.

I have recently discovered that my printer does not print exactly what I intend it to. For example, if I print a 5 inch square, the sides of the square are not equal to each other (the vertical vs. the horizontal lines). This makes fitting and testing a model almost impossible because adjoining parts do not match up even though they measure out to be the same length. I am using AutoCAD and CorelDraw and an HP5510 all-in-one printer.

I will be contacting HP also for support, but if anyone has ideas to help, I would really appreciate it. I wonder if anyone else has this problem?

I need a way to set up the printer to adjust the vertical and horizontal aspect ratios to fix this to work with all software outputs. I checked the help files for the printer and all of the printing options in the setup, but can not find what I need to do to fix this.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo
  2. mvink

mvink Member

Hi Ron,

It sounds like you have a mechanical issue with the rollers skewing the paper while it's printing. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this. You will most likely need to contact HP about a warranty replacement for your printer.

3. mbauer

mbauer Cardstock Model designer

Hi Ron,

Verify you have the correct drivers for your printer!

Do you design in autocad and then print? How familar are you with autocad? Which version are you using?

It could be as simple as changing the layout from landscape to portrait. Make sure the "fit to page" is not selected.

Finally you might have to verify your printer margins are set correctly when you plot from autocad.

When I plot from autocad (at work [ACAD2007map} and at home [ACADlt2002]) I set up plot "box"
    -Look at the plot manager info and see what ACAD is telling you the printable area is (underneath the paper size)=this is the area ACAD can plot to, depending on the paper size you have chosen.

-on your layout tab (paperspace) draw a box this exact size (example would be 8-1/2" x 11" = only a 8" x 10-1/2" area, due to printer margins needed to grip the paper)

-Plot this box by using the "window" option to define it. If you're plotting 1 to 1 this box should plot on your 8-1/2x11 paper if you've set it to the printable area shown by ACAD.

-measure the box to verify it is the correct size. If not, I'll need more info about the version of Autocad you're using.

4. Ron Caudillo

Ron Caudillo Creative Advisory Consultant Moderator

Printer and AutoCAD Setup

Thank you all for the help!

I am using a VERY old version, R12! Student version at that. I don't think it's in my software setup as I have the same issue with other programs (such as CorelDraw). Because vertical and horizontal lines do not print the same length, I have to think its either roller wear or driver setup. It would be GREAT if all printer drivers had an aspect ration offset to adjust this type of thing. Good point on checking the driver for updates, funny how one forgets about that! Old age, yeah! That's it!

Thanks for the AutoCAD help, I'll certainly check into it to see if I can get it to work any better. Man, this really puts a halt on model development!

Best Regards,
    Ron Caudillo