Printer choosing help

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by PModel Rookie, Sep 25, 2008.

1. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

Hello,as the title implies,I need to know what printer is best for card modeling(and also fairly cheap,too).I already know that Epson is not really a good idea.

Help is appreciated,
    Please and thanks.
  2. Tim Crowe

Tim Crowe Member

Had a Lexmark - Which was useless and expensive on cartridges.

Now have a HP - much better!

Generally I find the more you can spend the better quality printer you will get.

Though cost of cartridges and/or re-fills is a big factor.

Have you tried printing at work?

3. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I have a Brother DCP-130C 3 in 1 and the cartridges in Vancouver are only about $5 each from a local supplier that actually delivers. I would definitely recommend one after going through a few Epsons...

4. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

I now have three Epsons and am very happy with all of them. I like the idea of being able to replace a single color (seem to use a lot of yellow) and have refilled many of them myself without too much problem. All printers give problems from time to time. What is most important is learning how to solve the problems. I do not agree that price is the best indicator at all. All of the home printers are built from the same engines and are very much alike inside.

I have used lots of different types and will never buy a Lexmark or HP unless they change the design from the current head in cart type.
  5. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

Hey,Tim.Well,I did not finished my studies.....yet.I don't have an occupation right now.:sad:

jdmcomp,what series for epson do you have?Maybe epson released new printers that I don't know that the printing quality is better than the previous ones?:confused:

Terry,Is the printing quality good?Are you happy with it?:confused:

NULLMOON Member

i have a cannon mp460 the printing is of very high quality and the cartridges fairly priced the only problem im having with is the settings for most digital kits need to be adjusted and tested before printing to get the desired result
  7. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Do a search for Continuous Ink Systems and see which printers are compatable with them. Looks like it could help a lot on the cost of ink if you do a lot of model printing. :)
    (I have not used a CIS, just thought I would pass along the info for consideration.)
  8. jdmcomp

jdmcomp New Member

jdmcomp,what series for epson do you have?Maybe epson released new printers that I don't know that the printing quality is better that the previous ones?:confused:

Currently a C82, a c120 and a 1400 upstairs. The 82 will feed very heavy cardboard, twice as heavy as the norm cardstock. My mother is using it right now. The 120 is new and seems to work quite well but does not feed cardboard just cardstock. The 1400 is a large format, 13X19 photo printer. So far I have no complaint with it. Of all of them the 82 is the best for card models. I have been using it for years and it still works. Mom needed a new printer and I got her the 120 only to find it will not work with her op sys. So I gave her my 82 and kept the 120.

As for resolution, any printer out there will print card models with lots of detail without fail. I doubt you could see any useful difference between the available ink jet printers in the ability to print the image. I wanted the ability to replace individual colors as I find I use much more of some then others. Also wanted good control over the product which I find Epson software allows.

I do get the occasional stoppage in ink and have found that it is relatively easy to clear once you have been through the process. Most of the time it is my fault for letting a cart run dry. Ink is the most expensive side of the hobby. You will use lots of it so start learning how to refill carts or buy off the net. Epson ink is the best but other inks will work. You just have to try them and find out.

Do not buy a laser printer for color use. Lasers can work but you need a very good one made for office use and someone to pay for the cost of operation.

My question is where did you get your info on Epsons in the first place?
  9. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

I'm very satisfied with the printing quality of the Brother DCP-130C!

I used to get all my printing done at Staples, but no longer. The scanner and copier on it work really well too.:thumb:

P.s.: I just saw a new Brother 3 in 1 model for sale at Staples yesterday for only $49.99CAN...wall1

10. scon10

scon10 Member

I am using since a few months now a Canon iP4500 Pixma, and I'm very satisfied with its printing quality. The 5 black and separate colour cartridges are slightly more expensive than the previous one (Canon i950), but it has proven to be MUCH more economical with its ink. With hindsight, I should have bought its A-3 size counterpart printer, but this one is OK for me.
  11. charliec

charliec Active Member

The Canon iP5300 Pixma gets my vote - it replaced a Canon i560 which popped it's power supply after a supply voltage spike. I refill the cartridges so it's a cheap printer to run. Unlike some of its competitors you can tell it to ignore the chip. You can buy a chip resetter but these are bit expensive.

12. PModel Rookie

PModel Rookie Member

about your question,I saw a sticky(or something) thread about 'defeating the evil Epson empire' at the top.Maybe I did not read what it contains properly so I think like "So,Epson is evil?"(you know what I mean).

SCEtoAux,thanks for your consideration,I guess I'll try to search for it.