prewar lionel 252 engine wheels?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by ozzy, Jan 18, 2007.

1. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

can i get replacement wheels for it? and how hard are they to change?
  2. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I think Model Engineering Works has them. Their web site is at

They're pretty easy to change if you have a press of some sort and wheel cups. If you don't, it can be difficult.
  3. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

im looking at one on ebay, but the wheels are dry/cracked. wounder if i would be better off just to keep looking?

i dont have the tools
  4. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

You're probably better off if you keep looking. Crumbling wheels are a common problem, but not something every loco has. A new set of wheels will cost you between $20 and $40, plus the time and tools to change them out, and I don't know that one in good condition would sell for much more than $20 or $30 more than a bad one.

I've got a prewar American Flyer with swollen wheels that need to be changed in my basement. I've been meaning to get to it for about two years, if that tells you anything.
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

The wheels can crumble and swell??? :eek:
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

this one had 3 cars with it, in gread condition, was just over 100.00 so far.

7. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

Yes, early diecasts had this problem, due to impurities in the metal. It put Dorfan out of business, literally.

You can expect to pay $50-$100 for a prewar O27 Lionel steamer, and $20 or so apiece for the cars, if they're in VG or better condition. If you're going to pay that, you might as well get one that doesn't have a lot of problems.
  8. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

this one ended, went for $265.00.

it was not a steamer

the cars in that same condition been going for 60.00 to 100.00 each. at least the few i been watching.