Preferred Order

RaiderCTE

I'm at the point of growing grass, trees and also ballasting. I've put down a coat of dirt (paint). Which would you guys do first, ballasting or grasses?

interurban

Hi CTE,
I always ballast first, if I am working on an old siding I put grass and weeds amongst the ballast then use the diluted glue and watered down liquid soap, to try and "get it all in one".

But you must assess each area and work out the best way to get the finished project the way you visualise it:D

Railery

it depends. i stay away from the track area until i ballast it. i do other scenery areas anytime or within 3" of the track. If u want the grass to show through the ballast, u would still ballast track first.

RaiderCTE

RE

Thanks guys, I just wanted to make sure before I laid all the ballast then found out that I should of done the grass first.

Thanks again.

Vic

Ballast and Grass or Grass and Ballast

Lets use just a little bit of Star Trek/ Mr. Spock logic:D ...First there's the terrain with the grass growing on it. Then along comes the railroad. The railroad grades the terrain to build the line and the grass is destroyed. The railroad then lays the track and ballasts it. Then the grass grows back:D :D

Now along comes Joe the ace model railroader building his layout:) His table is the terrain already graded:) He lays his track and ballasts it and then puts down the grass:D :)

Now here comes Doofus:eek: who tries to run n scale trains on ho track:eek: :D He puts down his grass, then lays his track and ballasts it:)

Result: All three look the same:) :) :)

Conclusion: 'Ya can't fool Mother Nature...you can only come close:eek: :D and there ain't no right way or wrong way. :) :D and no matter which way you go around your elbow you still end up at your ear!!!:D :D :D :D :D :p