Preferred Ciszors

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by Mauiman, Nov 12, 2007.

Favored kind of Ciszors?

1. Regular

12 vote(s)
  2. Eurgonomic

13 vote(s)
  1. Mauiman

Mauiman Member

Well what are your preferred kinds of ciszors?

A) Regular?

B) Eurgonomical?

I choose B) The regulars had broken some of the nerve housing to my right thumb and I cannot allow that nerve to be pinched or my thumb becomes temporarily inoprable.

What is your favorite kinds of ciszors?
  2. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

I tend to go with whatever is the most comfortable on my hand and has a soft grip for comfort with repeated heavy use.
    So I guess you could say I go for the Ergonomic ones myself.

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Um... I say I've got no idea of what Ergonomic means, but I do tend to go with the most comfortable for me...
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I can cut a more straight line and have a bit more control with the standard.....
  5. 57townsman

57townsman Member

I use a small spring loaded one made by Fiskars. No loops to cut into your thumbs :mrgreen:

So does that count as ergonomic?

6. dansls1

dansls1 Member

N/A - I very rarely ever use the pair of scissors I keep with my tools. The only time I really use them is to cut large pages apart where they are folded (at the book staple fold, for example). I find I'm doing everything else with a blade.
  7. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I use curved nail scissors for curves and circles where i can, and for straight cuts I have a set of fiskars softouch that I find myself using as often as possible. Very comfortable handgrips mean I can cut a lot more with these than other scissors.

They tend to butcher the edges of some of the thicker laminated stuff, but I mainly use them to separate the parts from each other then clean up the finer details with a scalpel or exacto blade.
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

I tend to mostly use the ergonomical scissors from FISKARS. They come in different sizes and the ones I use I bought about ten years ago - they have orange plastic handles. They are incredibly sharp, sturdy and well made.

Bengt :thumb:
  9. Grizz

Grizz Member

I use Fiskars softouch for smaller areas and small compound curves, normal scissors for larger areas of compound curves and trimming.
    I use my good ol' number 11 blade for everything else I can get away with. Although I'm pretty lazy and just want to get the cutting done as soon as possible with the least tool changes so usually just use my no. 11 for everything.
  10. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

When I do use scissors it is the Fiskars Soft Touch. I use a hobby knife with a #11 blade the vast majority of the time.:)
  11. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I have these that I got at Michaels:

Acme 7" Pointed Titanium Bonded Scissors. For left- or right-hand use High-performance titanium bonded blades are three times stronger than stainless steel. Corrosion-resistant blades also resist tape and glue, so the cutting edge stays sharper longer. Manufacturer’s lifetime warranty. 3" Cut Gray/Yellow Handle
  12. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I get children's scissors with soft handles from Walmart for under $1 a pair. They are sharp and keep their edge for quite a lot of use. The handles allow me to put two fingers in one hole and my thumb in the other. I'm using scissors more often for curved lines.
  13. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I have a little pair with a curved blade that are great for cutting circles and very small details, however for me the finger holes are a little on the small side. Small Holes + Big Fingers = SORE THUMBS!

I also use a traditional pair with a straight 3" blade - again the holes are kind of small but they are extreamly sharp and cut very well.

90% of the time I use a #11 blade in a black rubberized xacto handle -
    It's very comfortable - about the size of a large fountain pen. I can cut all day long with that. My eyes end up getting sore long before my fingers.
  14. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

cutter bee by K&Co. the titanium ones. for those who end up with sore digits, you're not modeling enough. if you were, you would have calluses (sic?) like me....;)

(good to know someone shops at michael's. as an employee, i can tell you they have TONS of craft stuff...)
  15. OylPslyk

OylPslyk Aspiring Usurper

whatever I don't cut with the blade I use surgical scissors on.
    It's decidedly UN-ERGONOMIC...sign1wall1, but very precise :cool:

NULLMOON Member

i have a dozen or so pairs ranging from the massive foot and a half long wallpaper shears to surgical snippers..the ones i use most? 0.50p small basic plastic handeled type- light and easy to use:yep:
  17. doc_harvey

doc_harvey Member

I use the Friskar brand of scissors. The tip is very chiselled and offers a lot of control.
  18. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

80% of the cuts I make are with a #11 blade and a steel rule.

When I use scissors, I have found that the Friskers Micro tip scissors are the best scissors for paper modeling. Ergonomic handles with a spring return make them a joy to use. They don’t look like they can tackle heavy stock but I have used them to cut 2mm card stock with ease. On the other extreme, I use then to cut 1.5 mm circles.

Jim Nunn

Attached Files:

19. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Titanuim Scissors, which were posted earlier, rock! I use them as well, my mother purchased the Titanuim for me :)
  20. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

I do not use scissors at all. An X-acto will get a straighter, more precise line every time.