Power vs Track Length Question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by MarcO, Nov 30, 2007.

1. MarcO

MarcO Member

Hello -
    I have the PE set which comes with the CW-80.
    Im setting up a 55ft long Fasttrack. I have no switches or accessories and will only be running the loco that came with the PE set.
    I have not tested it yet as I didnt want to open the PE box (its a gift for the kids).

Am I ok with the CW-80 for 55ft of flat, new, fastrack?

Thanks as always.

2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I would expect it will do just fine on new track. However it may be wise to add some more power leads every six to eight feet. This way you power is more evenly spread throughout the entire length of your track.

Note : Others may suggest anywhere between six and ten feet. I do run 32 feet of fast track with a PE set and 5 PE rolling stock and even add three additional Christmas cars with no problems using only one additional power lead. However I do keep that track fairly clean.
  3. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

I agree with Renovo, it would be a good idea to pick up at least one, preferably four, additional terminal sections. You can wire your own leads with McMaster-Carr part # 69525K11. There should still be time for them to arrive before Christmas, if you're inclined to do it yourself. There are tabs on the underside of Fastrack sections that the McMaster-Carr part can grip onto, and you can use any 18-22 AWG wire to connect to the transformer.
  4. MarcO

MarcO Member

Ok. Unfortunately what I have is a living room thats has alot of traffic which is why im running the track around the perimeter. So Ill prep for a few leads on xmas should the lights go dim on the back corner.

I was going to do a more compact layout but it really left no room for all the presents the family will buy me this year! Haha I wish.

Thx all.
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

MarcO: you can probably run the extra wire along underneath the tracks or just beside it (have to get our track out tomorrow after we get the tree). For the long runs, regular lamp cord is probably the easiest thing to get, then smaller wire to the connectors. Radio shack sells a package of connectors, but only 2 of the 8 are the right size. Lionel sells extra wires, but at a premium. Any track section can be a terminal section; they all have the lugs underneath. Keep the center rail and outside rail wires marked.
  6. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i would say an 80 watt will work, but you will need more power leads, it will be better if you can later on get a bigger transformer.
  7. Chief Eagles

Chief Eagles Active Member

All of the above is great. The more power leads the better. Then no slowing down fartherest from the transformer. For connectores, check Lowes. I get all of mine from there. Ours has some that are narrow to fit tight places.