Power track or battery?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by gromit, Mar 25, 2002.

1. gromit

gromit New Member

Excluding butane powered locomotives, generally are trains that require powered track better in quality than trains that have batteries in the tender car? Maybe it's just me, but when I think of a battery powered trains, I look them more as a toys than a model trains.

2. Brian C

Brian C New Member

You're right, those trains with batteries in the tender are really more "toy-like" than others. Of course, battery powered locomotives DO have an advantage over other engines insofar as they are not at all sensitive to any dirt on the tracks, which would cause a loss of electrical contact. However, for the most part, electric trains are the way to go.
    You may be interested in knowing that the most modern model trains use both track power and battery power. Lionel's RailSounds-equipped engines and MTH's ProtoSound-equipped engines use the variable AC track power for the motors and the lighting effects, but the sound system requires a battery backup to ensure consistent and flawless performance, regardless of electrical dead spots or dirt on the tracks.