Power Pack- Transformers Need help

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Mexico, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Mexico

Mexico Member

I will have about 120 feet of 0-27 guage track going around the room on a shelf 8 feet up from the floor.

What kind of power pack or transformer will I need for something like this?
    Would this be a large lay out or what ? I have no idea what to send away for.

The engine is going to be a MTH 2-8-8-2 USRA STEAM ENGINE W/PROTOSOUND 2.0 - UNION PACIFIC.

What should I buy. :)

Thanks for your help.
  2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

The size of the layout won't affect the transformer. You will get voltage drop unless you run feeders around the layout, connecting them every 9 or 10 feet (or maybe farther.) The rail joints cause a bit of voltage drop, and it gets worse if you take them apart and put them together. Use a feeder the size of lamp cord or house wiring (extra size won't hurt).
    So now for the transformer. I'm not sure what the consumption for the loco is. Can you see if MTH makes it in a set with transformer? That would be a guide. If you have lighted cars, they will add to the load.
    Does it have anything extra -- special sounds or features that require a special controller?
  3. Mexico

Mexico Member

I see transformers from $34. dollars to $150. and up would low price work OK or what?

I do understand about putting feeders around.

Thanks for your help.
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

For 120 feet of track with proper feeder lines, the size of your trasnformer will be decided by the size and type of engine and cars you are running.

For example, an engine with 2 motors will use about 2 amps and if you also are using passanger cars, each one may use about 0.3 amps.

6 cars x 0.3 amps = 1.8 amps + 1 engine at 2.0 amps = 4 amps.

any switches with lights will also pull about 0.3 amps.

I would think something like an MTH 1000 would be more than enough.

5. Mexico

Mexico Member

That's the kind of help I was hoping for, you just gave me a way to figure all this up. I knew there had to be some kind of guide of doing all this.

Thanks [​IMG]
  6. Mexico

Mexico Member

Next thing I need to know is how can I connect the feeded wires to the track with out buying the Lock-Ons they cost like $2.69 each. Can I solder them to the track or what.

Thanks again for your help :)
  7. CDJr

CDJr New Member

I soldered all of mine to the rail joiners, but I use HO scale, and Im not sure if O scale joiners are the same. At first I tried soldering directly to the track, but quickly figured out that wasnt the way to go. :oops: Not only was it near impossible to do it without creating a built-in derailer, but I also had a hard time trying to keep from messing up my crossties with the heat.
  8. Mexico

Mexico Member

Thanks for your help maybe someone else can tell me what to do for 0 guage. Maybe I could solder on the underside of the track? Not sure what to do.
  9. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I solder my feeders to the track rails. I use 027 tube track.

10. Mexico

Mexico Member

You have been very helpful to me, thanks for your help again. But not sure what you mean by tube track. Is that just regular 0-27 track that you are talking about? I don't know all the terminology that you use for trains sorry. Can I just solder a wire underneath the rail of the track? Or the hollow area. Is that what you are saying tube track?

11. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Tube track is the old traditional Lionel type track, the stuff you're usung. I guess the name comes from the tube at the top.
    The other tracks have solid rails, or square heads or something.
    Solder wherever you find it convenient, as long as it doesn't interfere with operations. You can solder to the side of the rail (outside of running rails) if you have to add after the track is fixed down.
  12. Mexico

Mexico Member

O,boy I'm starting to get all of this info.

Thanks everyone for your help. :)

13. Mexico

Mexico Member

I just was thinking, how do you heat up the track and the wire and then solder? Do you use a blow torch using just enough heat too melt the solder? It doesn't seem like a soldering iron would work.

14. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

I use a soldering gun, 140 watts I think. Will have to check it tomorrow. Just tin the track and the tin the wire. Then heat the track and solder the wire to it. Be sure to use flux to clean the track and use 60/40 rosin solder.
  15. Mexico

Mexico Member

Ok, thanks again, you have been a big help. :)