Power-Loc Switches

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by weerd1, Dec 14, 2006.

1. weerd1

weerd1 New Member

Hello- I have a quick question for anyone who can help me. I have been doing trains for a little while now, but I move a lot so most of it is in boxes waiting for me to retire. I would like to do a small modular layout that I can take apart easily. I have been using Power-Loc track for a while, but not much more than the standard oval. I was wondering if anyone knew what the radius measurement is on the Power-Loc switches? I am using software to play around with possible layouts so I can buy what I need, but the program I'm using doesn't include Power-Loc. I want to figure out the right substitute switch to use in planning.

I know Power-Loc isn't as versitile as flex track, or even normal sectional, but I am really just looking to do an Inglenook variant I can break down and put away. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
  2. KCS

KCS Member

To say the least and I've tated this so many times on this site that I have lostcont and many can vouch for me on that but Power-Loc & EZ track is trash. Not even worth wasting a dime on. Their switch's are very unreliable and can't handle 6 axle locomotives because they are pretty sharp. I think they range in a #3 to a #4. These switchs can easily be split and it won't take long before you start pulling your hair out over it. For as much as you pay for 2 of those you could buy 1 nice switch to the size of your liking and still have a little money left.

If your trying to nail it down and make it permanent then you definitely don't want that junk. Trying to install a joint track would just..... ugh. Flex track would be your best bet. All you would really need for it is a dremal tool with a cutting wheel to cut the track to any custom length you want and it's easy. Sorry if I'm coming off in a bad way but I'm try to save you from making a decision you more than likely will regret sooner or later. I did it. after 4 years of use the plastic has gotten weak and the rail is breaking away from it. I kept the track just so I could keep an eye on what happens to the track as it age's and is induced to different tempatures and conditions. A note to everyone.

Don't use the snap together roadbed track. The stuff is horrible and good for nothing more than child's toys.
  3. YmeBP

YmeBP Member

I use the powerloc as well, and i've used the rts (atlas right track) software and i just use the atlas library, and i use the at-540 for a good standing for the powerloc switch. So far so good and i haven't had much issue using it to layout my track before i put it down.

I like powerloc becuase it's great for my kids, and i can have a layout running while i work on the regular traks that take more time to setup. I work alloooot!!! And it is difficult to find the time to devote to setting up all that snap/flex track on roadbeds etc ... so i have made an investmetn in a good bit of powerloc AND regular snap/sectional track. So my kids are happy, they get to play "chooo choooo" and i'm happy becuase my kids are happy, not only that but they leave me alone while i setup my regular track hahaha.

I've seen pictures of powerloc done up to look great!