Power for Turnouts

Jodam

Ok i've acquired 21 s/h Atlas turnouts, do i use the DC or AC accessories feeds from my Hornby HM2000 controller ? I'll be using brass stud & stylus switching for them.
I've not tested them yet, however the all came from Gauge members, so the will work fine.
Cheers folks.
Damien.

Conrail

I'm not real sure on this and was curious myself because my old layout had manual switches. I plan to run my new turnouts, wye's, etc. from a 9v plug in transformer to a fused distribution panel, to toggle switches, then to the switch motors. Probably start a small fire to. :D J/K. Maybe one of the seasoned vets will chime in on this one and let us know a good method.

N

nachoman

I would use the DC with a stylus/stud setup. If your hands are a little sweaty, touching the stylus or stud wrong may give you a bit of a shock with AC.

kevin

Jodam, The Atlas machines will operate fairly good on any spare powerpacks 16 Volt AC terminal as long as it is applied momentarily as stated. However there are several Manufacturers that make a " Snapper circuit " that applies 35 Volts DC but through the circuitry it only applies it as a short burst and will not harm your machines. Also known to throw several at one time depending how you wire and what method you use to operate them. Many ways to do the same task depending on the funds at hand. Enjoy the hobby for it can be very rewarding. Good Luck, Joe !

Jodam

Thanks guys,
A local shop, Talking Electronics, does a kit for a Capacitor discharge unit, thought i'd give it a try.
We're still working on the first 2'x2' section detailing. Will take pic's as soon as i find that damned round toit. lol
Cheers.

Russ Bellinis

Capacitor discharge for twin coil type switch motors is an excellent idea. It will never do more than a split second burst so you won't have to worry about holding a momentaryswitch down too long.