Power District Layout Question, DCC

SteveInBama

I'm a new guy - needing more info on what track block configuration/power districts would be best for an "L" shaped layout with two parallel HO tracks. (total layout length 21'long x 5'wide, 1 dbl xover, and later, 1 reverse loop). I expect to use Digitrx Super Chief,5amp - DT400- with only 4 loco's - ...potential later expansion. Part of my concern is ease of operation/trouble shooting/simple wiring design ... And how many boosters I should plan in my initial layout design.

Will a "better" configuration of boosters and blocks help to ensure everything else does not stop &/or... it will be protected when there a problem?

I'm using the 3 basic MRR books as basic guides DCC Made Easy / Projects / Guide. --- but learning a lot from this forum.

Thanks for any tips or specific references.
SteveInBama

Jim Krause

I'm not sure that there is enough info in your post for someone to help. Can you provide a track plan. With DCC you have different requirements than with the older DC block system.

SteveInBama

Jim,
I'm starting fresh with DCC. -- purchasing Digitrax and building the benchwork now. Sorry, I don't have a digital layout plan to attach but it is essentially two parallel "L" shaped tracks /circuits with the double crossover/connector of the two parallel track lines, on the longer leg of the "L". Perhaps the term "power district" is more accurate as I do not plan to run any older DC. My question, said another way, is it better to keep the inside and outside tracks on seperate boosters and blocks/power districts -- or to divide the track in blocks at the ends/halves of the L (upper leg and lower leg) by blocks? The total circut distance of one track/line is about 30'. I plan to use mostly Atlas 100 36" flex track, snap remote turnouts. I expect to require only limited aux stationary power /lighting but run new diesel locos with lights and sound.

Thanks,
SteveInBama

Pooh Bah
With 4 locos, you probably don't need power districts. I might consider sectionalizing bits of it for trouble shooting. What would be a consideration is where you may be running several locomotives in a section.You might make separate sections of the loco depot, the yards, and mainlines, if you have heavy grades that will need 4 powered units to climb. In fact, if you plan events like 2 big trains with 4-unit diesels running on opposite mains, you might wire each main as its own power district.

b28_82

On my layout I plan to isolate each main line into its own power district as well as my industrial area. More specifically I have a Digitrax Zephyr and each district will be separated by a circuit breaker which will indicate a short with an LED on the circuit board. Tony's Trains has multiple quantity circuit breakers 1,2,4 and a reverser CCA. I got the reverser for my wye module and have yet to be disappointed by it.

SteveInBama

Thanks all, The tips and the great references will save me a lot of grief. Rogerw, that on line video clip page -- Model-Trains-Video.com -- is really helpful.
Steve