Power Boosting

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Gil, Feb 27, 2004.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

Radio Shack is selling these for boosting performance of the Radio Control Micro Cars that they sell (Zip Zaps). Technology rolled over from pager motors these are now being used in micro RC airplanes..., anyone for powering up their paper creation? Doesn't have to be an airplane, how about a vehicle? Take apart one of the cars and use that as the basis for powering a paper framed vehicle.....,

Best regards, Gil

2. Maurice

Maurice Member

And for anyone struggling to interpret the quaint units of measurment depicted. It may well be that the top of the rule is divided int 1/32 nds of an inch (presumably Imperial rather than French) and that the motor shaft accordingly has an overall length of approimately 16 - 17 mm.
    Smile Gil, I'm extracting the Michael :lol: - it's a neat item and thanks for showing it.

3. Gil

Gil Active Member

Twenty First Century Toys is coming out with 1:6 scale WWII Sherman Tank complete with Tank Commander propped out the top. It's radio controlled replete with tank noise as it moves along. It's supposed to be around $130.00 U.S. The creator is a modeling friend of mine who works for them an I had the pleasure of driving it around for a few minutes. They're going to sell out of these things..., It did start me to thinking about powering up card models. A proposed package would consist of:

RC receiver (car freq.)
    High frequency BEC motor controller
    - fwd speed control and slow reverse
    Micro servo for left right steering
    Lithium Ion battery for power
    Pager motor for power
    - gear selectable reduction
    - differential drive gear with left xor right lock
    (tank tread drive option)
    Front or rear drive option
    Capable of dualing the drive motors

Best regards, Gil
  4. Maurice

Maurice Member

5. 1:6 for $130? That sounds like a bargain, if you have a place to keep it.

The paper RC would be a very advanced project.
    The more features you try to pack into a scratch build the larger the model. What scale do you mean, Gil?
    Check the images Maurice referenced, the controller shown is a four-button unit, probably forward and reverse for each side.
    Might be cheapest to visit discount, liquidation and second-hand stores for cheap or broken RC toys for some parts.

Two independant single-speed fwd-rev assemblies, bonus would be a third for the turret, rotate one of the control sticks to proper position as dual-throttles, then call the mess good for a small model.
    I spoke with the local hobby store, now I have to build one because they say it can't be done (I sited 1:35 scale as an example).

Whoever does this will win fans if they completely document their process and post it.

For those microsized rechargeable batteries:

Low effort, gut and rebody?:

What I've contemplated more often is clockwork assemblies entirely from paper.
  6. Maurice

Maurice Member

7. Won't use clockwork unless I designed it myself :D
  8. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

A complete 1:43 scale set at Toys R us sales for $19.95 U.S. On-off, reverse motor control and left or right steering. Still cheap enough to modify for a paper car. Who will be first? Masamune, you could animate one of your creations for extra show points....,

Best regards, Gil
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

But of course not - I sought only to inspire.
    Let me know how you go with storing energy using the elastic deformation of paper. :lol:
  10. Peter H

Peter H Member

Can I propose an alternative that even now needs a serious look at specification and capability.

I live an hour from any electronics or toy store but I can walk 5 minutes to my local newsagent/stationer. Now I go to the back and pick up a sheet of ~180gm/m^2 card that takes only minutes to break down into 5 A4 sheets *then* 2 feet away is boxes of rubber bands.

Don't these little brown wonders more fulfil our real concept for power ???

What size give what output ?

How are they best utilised for a small motor structure ?

Saturate working surfaces (ie. bearings and gear teeth) with cyano to get a tough working surface with an acceptable rate of wear. This is *not* my idea but I hope it helps.
  11. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

rubber power

have a look at

What ever you do, DON'T look at the Gasparin CO2 engines on this site, unless you have cast-iron will power, or a Platinum credit card.

You have been warned!!!

Get the SAMS catalogue though; some excellent products and lots of advice. Well worth the asking price.
  12. Rubber bands? Clockwork is not only operated by spring tension, there is the "rip cord & flywheel" method (very high stress), "pendulum action", or the one I'm working a "gravity lever".
    My two prime sketches show the power sources as putting a marble in a cup or raising a lever to start the action. The weighted action arm gives minimum length restrictions, but the real problem is assuring ratchet synchronicity in the rocker arm.
  13. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

I've entertained thoughts of adding a motorized rotating light to a Fiddler's Green lighthouse I have, this might do the trick -

14. Maurice

Maurice Member

And I now have entertaining thoughts of marbles bouncing down a spiral staircase.
    Just don't loose them eh.

15. someone here smells crazy [checks own armpit]

If I can make the gravity arm work there is this dandy way to conceal the mechanism.
    Build a tank, loading the barrel tip with a slug of iron... the barrel itself is the action arm! Slowly lowering as it chugs forward...
    Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!~ :twisted:
  16. Gil

Gil Active Member

MIcro Mark sells an outfit for lighthouses. It varies the light in a pattern which makes it look like the real thing.

Best toys have the best features so why not?

Best regard, Gil
  17. JRSeese

JRSeese Member

Thanks Gil

Honestly I haven't a clue where to begin on such a modification to the kit... I guess I am just inspired by the regulars on these boards to take my models 'one step further'

I know I've got the bug when I think about building the lighthouse and the question pops into my head, "I wonder how I could make it light up like a real lighthouse would?"

Will check Micro Mark out

18. TigerMike

TigerMike New Member

I was reading through some old posts regarding the Sherman tank and you mentioned that you saw a preproduction 21st Century RC Sherman model. I have never seen a 21st Century Sherman. Did it ever go into production? I have the RC version of the 1/6th scale M5 Stuart. Very neat to although very large. I would be really interested in buying a Sherman in that scale.

I have been looking for a paper model sherman in 1/25th or any larger scale to build and later enlarge to use as a template to build a 1/6th scale Sherman.

I have recently built a card model Jagdpanther in 1/25. My first card model. Really enjoyed building it.

19. Gil

Gil Active Member

It's still in the works. The Stuart did just Ok so the Sherman has a 50/50 chance of going to market.