LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
It's a free world, eh. And if every reply was expected to get a reply it would be never ending.

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Oh gotcha - the people asking for advice dont acknowledge that advice was given and that the advice isn't appreciated - gotcha..... I misunderstood ya.. BTW how is milmont pa this time of year?

trainman4

Jun 25, 2006
milmont park,PA.
hot but what's new?

thanks for asking and for your replies this is why i signed up on this board and any other that looks interesting.I've learned some new things that'd never found out if it weren't for the gauge.Have a good weekend i know i will.:thumb:

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
trainman4 said:
sign1That got action thanks .i'm talking about someone looking for something and i try and help out and never get any response.

I'm sure people often post questions and forget to ever go look for an answer. It happens a lot on larger boards that I'm a member of.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
On the Super Chevy Magazine board it is set up so that when you post and someone replies, it puts "unread" next to the original person's name until they open the thread to read it. It amazes me how many people ask a question and two three or more people will answer, but if you check back weeks later, the post is still marked "unread."

LoudMusic

Jul 21, 2006
Personally when I post something new it's usually just me saying "Hey I think this is cool maybe you will to!". Often the only thing I'm checking for when I come back is to see if I'm on track with the interests of the community and if I should continue or find something different. If someone initiates conversation in such a thread I may or may not take the bait.

If the thread starter is posting looking for an aswer to a question and the question is answered perhaps then a 'thank you' could be issued. But keep in mind, any question that is asked and answered here could be asked and answered of the Google search engine.

What I learned on a certain Gran Turismo forum is that people use other members to do their information searching. They are LAZY sons of @%#&$s who really couldn't care less about the well being of the other members of the forum. In the vast majority of those kinds of threads the answers to the question were obtained from a Google search or a forum search using words from the thread starter's question. And generally a strong "USE THE SEARCH ENGINES!!" comment would be added once or twice ;)

So in my experience if someone is asking a question on a forum they're most likely too lazy to find the answer for themself. So don't expect them to come back and say thank you after you've done all the work.

Also, I'm overwelmed at the amount of thank yous and repy-to-replies on this site. It's just weird to me :)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
cidchase said:
Well shucks, Loud, I guess we like it this way...:thumb:
i AGREE with Cid:thumb:, one of the MANY reasons i like this forum is because the members here ARE considerate:thumb::D. i also find the members here to be a higher class of folk, compared to "other" forums;):D -Deano

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Here was the first question I posted on The Gauge:
How to best use this room??
Here's what I have to work with:
My first thought was the ol' 4x8 or 4x10 table along the 21' wall but there's a better way to utilize this room. I need to keep some room for the kids and a TV. I was thinking the TV up against the stair stringer wall out of the way. also I obviously need easy access to the water main/meter. Any help would be appreciated.
Attached Imageshttp://www.the-gauge.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=24957&stc=1&d=1138152942

I tried using google...but IT couldn't help me...however talking with PEOPLE who love to share their knowledge and passion did and still does. And now even I have been known to answer a question or 2 for some poor slob (like me) who doesn't know where else to turn or doesn't know how to phrase his or her question....It's all about respect, giving it and getting it. That's why The Gauge is different.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
trainman4 said:
Why do people post things & when a reply is posted they don't bother acknowledging?announce1 I think that is very rude.

I agree with you trainman. It does seem rather ostentatious of some people not to reply back to a thread that they posted.

Do you always acknowledege your wife/Better-Half?sign1
I don't............... Probably why I sleep on the couch alot.:eek:ops:

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Steve, you cite a fine example of what the use of the Gauge is all about. You give some information about your situation (in your case a sketch of a room) and then you ask for advice. It is always very interesting to compare the different solutions to the problem, posted by more experienced members of the Gauge. The same holds true for e.g. a repair problem with an engine or a how-to-do-it question about making cornfields... You learn lots of new (and sometimes very old) techniques, by the way.
But in these cases Google doesn't help you a lot! And here at the Gauge you always have the chance to ask for more details...
And when you get answers, of course it's nothing else but decent to say at least a thank you for the answers. :thumb::wave:

Loud Music, I agree when it comes to outright silly questions like "How does a F9 loco look like?" IMHO there is a simple answer for that: DON'T answer at all. :D Perhaps that will teach them to do something themselves. :eek:ops:

Ron

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Any member here can choose to be notified when there is a reply to any of their posts: simply select "User CP", then "Edit Options", then select the proper choices. If you ask for information, you'll almost certainly get it here. While there's no need to reply to every reply, a blanket acknowledgement of them will show condideration for those that have taken the time to try to help you. There is absolutely no excuse for rudeness, and, as Dean mentioned, that is why the Gauge is my model railroading site of choice: most people here are considerate of others.
I'll sometimes spend an hour or two digging through back issues of train magazines, looking for an answer to someone's question: I'm happy to be able to do so, all for a simple "thanks", and I think that most of our members feel the same way about this.

Wayne