posting photos

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I'm not very computer savy and am having trouble trying to post my photos.I have my pictures in a paint program and when I try to transfer them to the Xn view that was recomended in the adding images tutorial when I try to resize them they get very blurry. Can they be resized in paint and then posted? My attempts at compresing them have had no better results because I can't get below 7k.Could someone walk me thru this pleeease.
I'm getting to that it's not fun stage with this.

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Poverty Acres, North Carolina
Visit site
Yes you can resize in a paint program. Which one (EXCACT ONE) do you have? BTW I have no idea what a Xn view is????? In most cases when I resize I need to refocus also. General proceduce is resize 1st, then contrast or brightness, then focus, then save and post.

belg

Apr 28, 2001
New Jersey USA
Visit site
I believe that the program is just called paint I can't find any # after it anywhere. The Xn view is part of the download in that adding images at the top of the homepage.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
You might be better off using a photo edit program rather than "Paint" or a draw program. I use one called PhotoPlus from Serif, as well as their PagePlus pulishing program. In a photo editor, usually you can do two things, "crop" the image to reduce its borders by keeping only what you wanted to see, and secondly, by "resize image" I can set the size, either by physical size, or by # pf pixels. I ususally use the pixels to resize and that way I'm assured to meet the requirements on size. Once I've got the picture the size I want, I can then "export" or "optimize export" in any format, but mostly .jpg. When optimizing I can set the quality % and be assuered that I'm under the 70K limit for here. Usually 80% on a .jpg does not appreciably alter the picture quality, but does reduce the file size greatly. Most of what I post is under 50K and 600 x 400 pixels and usually show a resonable amount of detail. I can do basically the same thing in PagePlus, but I have the additional advantage of adding text and combining more than one picture.

I have several other photo programs, some come with a scanner, others come with the camera, and I'm not sure but one might have come with Windows.

Hope this helps,

Don

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Belg are you trying to scan a picture in, then post or download from a camera? I'm guessing you mean the paint program that came with windows? You can post your picture there, then go to image on tool bar, then attributes. That will tell you the size in kb and pixels. Then go back to image if it's to large and click on stretch and skew and adjust there. Just remember to keep it proportitional. In other words if the picture is 700 kb reduce BOTH horizontal and vertical by the same amount, in this case try 10% first. When saving it's best to save as a jpg. You won't be able to refocus in paint however, but if your pic is good and clear you shouldn't need to. If you still have problems I will download zoo (at the top of the page) and learn it!:D :D :D Don makes a good point about if you have a scanner or digital camera to check the disc that came with it you may have more software there. I couldn't afford to go out and buy software so I used paint for quite awhile, then when I got a scanner and later a camera I ended up with some pretty nifty free photo software.

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
photos

Tyson
As flunky head,----or is that head flunky? I have a question that you maybe can answer. I have a 3.1MP camera. In paint I use images to size. The picture is 2160 X 1440, 216 X 216, and 898,892. I cut to 30% both ways and get 648 X 432, and in inches, says 3X2, BUT attributes shows 216 X 216 and 877KB, which means it still won't post. What is (or or isn't ) happening. To answer trhis, try to stay at least 2 steps below dummy level.

Thanks
Lynn

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Hi Lynn, My camera is a 3.1 also for what that's worth. :D It seems if you do nothing your original pic will be about 2160 X 1440. If you get 216 X 216 you would then have a square picture even though if you cut 30% both ways it should still be a rectangle. :confused: That aside the thing you are trying to do is post the pic, so with that in mind.............. You can make the original reduction larger (say 40% both ways) or once you get to the 216 X 216 size you can then crop the picture or you can simply reduce again. As a head flunky one of the first things I learned is not to worry about why something is happening only to worry about the end result. If I get the result I want but can't figure out the whys and wherefores of how it did that it really doesn't matter as long as I consistintly get the results I was looking for. My natural curiosity is such that at a later date I will try to figure it out maybe.......................or maybe not! :D

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
photo

Tyson,
This thing hates me. I just snapped a test picture on the "good" or low quality. It came out 104K. I tried posting it and got the response that 700K was maximum. ????? If I cut the picture any more, you wouldn't see it.. I can send them email all day long.

Lynn

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
I don't think the size readings you are getting are correct but the thing to do now is to start fresh because you may be (or the computer may be ) repeating the same mistake over and over. Take a brand new picture and start fresh AFTER completely closing out paint then going back in again. Make sure you follow the procedure exactlly as computers are very stupid!!! They can only do what a human programs them to do and they can't get that right half the time! :D :p :D

Tyson Rayles

Sep 25, 2001
Visit site
Belg under the box you type your response in you will see

Attach file, to the right is a blank box next to which is a browse bar or button. Click on browse and it will open up a choose file box, locate the file (photo) you want and click on open. That's it, you will be back to the response page, DO NOT click on preview, just click on submit and you should be all set.