Post Your STEAMERS!!!

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
here is my kitbashed plastic CPR Steam..............
001.jpg

IHC 4-8-2 kitbashed into CPR 4-8-4
004.jpg

IMG_8295.jpg

Kitbashed Proto 2000 0-8-0
IMG_8291.jpg

012.jpg

Kitbashed Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0
010.jpg

IMG_8266.jpg

Kitbashed MDC 0-6-0
IMG_8274.jpg

Kitbashed Rivarossi 4-4-0
IMG_8279.jpg

Kitbashed IHC 2-6-0
IMG_8281a.jpg

Tyco 2-8-0 kitbashed into CPR V5a 0-8-0
IMG_8309.jpg

Kitbashed IHC 2-8-2

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Hi, msowsun, and welcome to the Gauge.:wave: You've done a really nice job on giving those locos a CPR appearance :thumb:, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Wayne

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Hope you don’t mind if I post another pic of my Mikado. I finished the conversion of the tender from coal to oil and it looks quite different to the pic on the first side of this thread. I am still waiting for the decals to arrive, but unfortunately my LHS can’t deliver at the moment.

View attachment 31600

Attachments

• Mikado11.jpg
    Mikado11.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 297

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
Hi doctorwayne, My name is Mike Sowsun from Oakville, Ontario. I just signed up yesterday and YOU are the reason!. I hadn't heard of "The Gauge" but I found it while doing a Google search for "CNR 4100".

I am planning to get the new "President's Choice" 2-10-2. I needed some prototype photos to plan some modifications. That is when I discovered all the excellent photos of your brass 4100. They are just what I needed. They are actually much better than prototype photos because they cover almost every angle and are much better quality. Great for seeing all the details.

So far, I can see that the tender and cab on the IHC 4100 will need the most work.

I have done 3 IHC locos so far. I think my 4-8-2 conversion is the best so far. The 4-8-2 seems to share the same boiler as the IHC 2-10-2.

Here is a before and after of the 4-8-2 into 4-8-4 conversion.....................
IHC4-8-2.jpg

002a-1.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Kurt, you can post as many pictures of that Mike as you wish: not only is it a good-looking loco, but the scene in which it's been posed is not too shabby either.:thumb:

Mike, it's nice to know that I had something to do with your finding the Gauge, although that 4100 in the photos belongs to my good friend cn nutbar, who often comes here to shoot pictures on my layout. When I finally get back into doing train stuff, one of my first tasks will be to add the snow-melter equipment back onto that loco, as it appears that a previous owner had removed it. I also have an older brass USRA 2-10-2 (by Akane) that I'm rebuilding into a CNR T-3a for Mister Nutbar. The project was started some time ago, but put on hold due to other projects (house renovation). If you need info on your prototype, you might want to check out the CNR sig: the bulk of the info and pictures that I used to do the CNR P-5b, shown earlier, came from their magazine, generously loaned by Mister Nutbar.
Your 4-8-2 to 4-8-4 conversion is very nicely done, and it demonstrates well that you have a good eye for seeing the model that you want in a model that's available. I also like your kitbash of the Bachmann Consolidation. The CPR-style cab really changes the appearance of the loco, but the shortened tender really seals the deal. I am rather biased, though, as many of my conversions involve more extensive modifications to the tender than to the locomotive.

Wayne

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Mike...

Welcome to The Gauge! Fantastic work! I am more of a CNR fan, but rapidly converting to CPR steam thanks to your pics! The all-weather/vestible cabs are awesome ;) :D

Andrew

msowsun

Nov 1, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
Wayne, I think your layout is one of the best I have seen in photos. Can you tell us more about it?

How large is it? Is it ever open to the public for a show?

Mike

Here are 2 more examples of my kitbashed steam.......
9c03.jpg

a1c9.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks for the kind words, Mike. The layout is a point-to-point-to-point, more or less in the shape of a "Y", with one arm of the "Y" atop the other (on an as-yet-unbuilt second level). There's staging at all three end points, and provision for run through operation when the need arises. Because the layout is less than half the size originally planned, the grades between the two levels are much steeper than I would have liked: in the range of 2.5% - 2.8%. The two end points of the lower level are more finished than the area in between, and as mentioned, the second level has yet to be built. Here are a couple of links that might help to clarify things a bit. The first one, started by my good friend cn nutbar, has lots of pictures and a drawing of the layout area. There is no trackplan, but the major towns and waterways are shown, which helps to give an idea of where the pictures were taken.

something new on the eg&e

The other link, below, is to a thread that contains links to all of my earlier threads. Some of the photos in them show areas that were not complete at the time, while more current postings show some of the scenery more developed.

An update, so as to not overwhelm this page...

Right now, the layout is not open to the public due to an edict from upper management :rolleyes:, but I am working on that one. However, hopeful visitors should maintain their normal breathing rhythms.:D

Wayne

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Awesome photo's everyone!! Steam rules!!!!

Here are some photo's of my current steam roster. First one is a heavily modified Mikado, the second is a NYC Hudson and the third is a CN Hudson, one of only 5 that CN ever had. All are by BLI.

Val

Attachments

• Mike1.jpg
    Mike1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 250
  • hudson1.jpg
    hudson1.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 248
  • hudson2.jpg
    hudson2.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 249

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Dean, it's good to see your steam roster increasing, whatever the reason:thumb: . Nice looking Hudsons, Les, we don't see you in this Forum as much as before. Eightyeightfan1, nice Shay, and a big improvement over the old MDC kits, especially as far as running qualities go. I built several of them, and while they could be made to run quite well, it was somewhat tedious work getting the binds out of them. Val, nice work on your modifications to that S-1-b. I was very surprised when Broadway brought out the model of the K-5-a, a (gasp) Canadian prototype, with a total production run of only five locos. Following its release, a nearby hobbyshop experienced a glut of used brass models of the same locos, prompting me to suspect that they ran as poorly as the one that I rebuilt for my good friend cn nutbar. What's the construction of the model? It would seem to me that such an unusual choice would preclude the use of injected styrene for the majority of the components.

Wayne