Post War parts question

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by granpa, Jan 22, 2007.

1. granpa

granpa Member

In searching for Lionel post-war parts, alot of folks selling parts have the following description:

726-34 (LH) or 42 (RH) Main Rod & Crosshead

Can I assume that this item is for a Lionel "726" engine and the "34" or "42" is the part number for the 726?

2. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Granpa: have you looked at the Olsen Toy trains site? They have a quite complete set of service sheets, including ones that show all the parts that go into an item.
  3. granpa

granpa Member

60103: i just tried to access Olsen Toy trains tonite and his server must have been busy. I also ordered some parts from him for my KW transformer on ebay. It appears his site is quite informative and will try again tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed for the 1946 or 1947 Berkshire 726 2-8-4 I have. I may need a motor??

4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I believe that is pretty much how it works for Lionel stuff.
    For my Lionel 8300 loco, the body number is 8300-35 and the front boiler plate is 8300-40.
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

Often you will find parts that are common to several items or even hundreds. (loco mechanisms, and freight car trucks and couplers) so you may find that the 736 has a bunch of 726 parts.
  6. cdawgs65

cdawgs65 New Member

I know I'm replying late on this but in any case do you have the Greenbergs Repair and operating Manual for Lionel Trains 1945-1969, if not it's a great buy! carries it, anyway just in case you didn't have it!
  7. granpa

granpa Member

cdawg65: I learned the day I posted this, that Greenberg's manual was a must. I ordered one and I'll tell you, what a help this has been. Thank goodness there are people that point us NEW ole farts in the right direction. THANKS
  8. granpa

granpa Member

As a follow of up my beginer's questions, the help I recieved from "The Gauge Forum", has saved a post-war 726 Berkshire 2-8-4 to see another day of operation after 45 years.

Thanks to ALL !

Photos of before and after restoration are coming soon