Possible first attempt

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by dwyaneward, Sep 27, 2002.

1. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

HI All,

First post here at The Gauge. Been watching from the sidelines for awhile.

I presently model N scale modern Diesel.

I am thinking of making some "Thall Well Car" as I have been unable to obtain some on ebay and LHS are out.

As I have no experience at this. I was hoping for some guidence from the Gauge group.

I have obtain the Nov. 2001 Modelrailroader and getting the Sept 2000 MR issue articles on well cars. Can you point me toward other reference info.

Do you feel this is obtainable in N scale for a newbie.

Thanks in advance for any and all replies
  2. billk

billk Active Member

3. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

No way you can discourage me.

I know about Alan Curtis Model's but since his well car are not available yet.

I just thought I give it a try for now.
  4. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

5. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

thanks for the info, I'll check it out.
  6. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

Do you feel this is obtainable in N scale for a newbie.

I'll repost this photo from a post on the gauge I did some time back. The purpose is not to discourage you with the first results, but to show that we all learn by doing. The time span from the first model to the last is about 30 years. The materials went from balsa, in the first, to scribed basswood in the second, to styrene for the last. The models were done from a construction article in Model Railroader, published in 1960. That's when I did the first one.
    So, in answer, yes, it is obtainable, you have to start some time.

Attached Files:

7. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

I am sure my talent for a first/second/... time scratch built car will be disastrous at least. This is a hobby and I am here to have fun good or bad.

Your picture is incouraging and I do have to start somewhere.

After posting here late last night, I tried for the sixth time at other ebay auction for some well cars and was surprised this morning that I had won, but I plan on getting this a try anyway.

You or anyone got any tips on cutting strips of sytrene other than a good str. edge and sharp xtracto blade

8. cidchase

cidchase Active Member

Hey Pete,
    Those are fine cabeese!! Very encouraging to see what can be done...
    I have a question about the double-pane windows. Do you know the reason for these, did any open or slide, etc? I've wondered about this on passenger cars also. Some models don't have them altho the prototypes seem to.
    Any light you can shed would be appreciated.:)
    Thanx from Olive Branch,
  9. jon-monon

jon-monon Active Member

I was going to suggest you just go for it. The worst case would be a learning experiance, more likely you'll get something you can use on your layout and point out as your first kit thrashing/bashing project. Just be sure and keep you first one! And proudly post a picture of it :D

My first kit bash was just last spring:

Bobbed Caboose

Attached Files:

• pk20.jpg
      File size:
      28.5 KB
  10. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

I'm not sure about the caboose windows, not mentioned in the article. I've seen some older passenger cars, and the upper panel is fixed, and the lower one opens to several fixed heights, with spring loaded catches to hold the panel at each level.

You shouldn't have to cut styrene strips. Evergreen styrene markets strips in almost every size.
  11. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I'd encourage you to try your handat "scratch/bashing"...whether you want to attempt the well car, or something else...don't worry so much about getting it perfect, just do your best.
    And if it turns out badly, so what? I guarantee you that the next time, you will have at least learned a couple of things NOT to do. :)
    And hey, if it doesn't roll down the track the way it should, or keeps derailing, you can always put it on a shelf, & in 10 or 20 years, when you're amazing people with your scratchbuilt masterpieces, you can point it out to a newbie, & say, "Hey, this was my first attempt at scratchbuilding!"
    Good luck Dwayne...keep us posted on your progress!

p.s. There's an old axiom that I learned as a kid, that has always applied so well to model railroading...
    "You can never appreciate the heights of success, until you've experienced the depths of failure."
  12. WVRR

WVRR Member

I have scratchbuilt my own well car from spare parts and odds and ends. I've reposted the pictures here for you to take a look at. This is my first attempt at rolling stock. The basic car was built with styrene, the handrails were from a caboose and the details were from a 1/32 scale model car kit. For weight I used cut up fridge magnets, and for trucks I used stock rapido.

13. dwyaneward

dwyaneward New Member

Charlie & Ed

Thanks for the encourgements

Ed, great photo of your well car.