Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by lrjanzen, Aug 9, 2006.

1. lrjanzen

lrjanzen Member

I have read a number of threads about how to punch out portholes etc. but i was wondering what is everyones take on is it really worth the effort? Does it add enough to a 1:250 model to make the effort worth while. What is everyones opinion?
  2. blueeyedbear

blueeyedbear Member

In less than 1:250 scale, portholes are going to be teeny-tiny. What I would try would be to seal the paper with Krylon or some other acrylic clear coat, then DRILL the holes, chucking a little-bitty modeling drill bit (mail order or check your local hobby shop) in my Dremel and drilling at low speed.

Another thought is to use a VERY fine drafting pin (most craft shops) and make rows of fly-specks!:grin:

3. lizzienewell

lizzienewell Member

I bought a set of hole-punch pliers at a leather supply store. It makes cleaner holes than does a drill bit. If cutting the holes is worthwhile depends on what you want to do with the model. If you like the holes then do it.

4. Dave Treby

Dave Treby Member

Yes, I think it's worth the effort, which isn't that much once you get into it. It adds a bit of relief to the sides of the hull, especially if there are long rows of portholes. I used to file a piece of brass wire to the right diameter and then just tap the end of the rod with a light hammer to punch out a hole. It gives a nice clean cut but you need to concentrate to make sure the rod doesn't jump to give one out of line.
    Now I usually pierce the holes with needle of the right size and then slice off the extruded card from the back.
    Either way a dab of Humbrol Clearfix on the back glazes the porthole and gives a little sparkle looking along the length of a vessel.