Portal 2 Turret

melvin008

Dec 14, 2007
Middle of Nowhere
PDO I made of Turret from Portal 2. Sorry no texture on the model. I plan on painting once completed in addition to installing speakers and motion activated eye.

Attachments

• PTurret 24inch.rar
    621.1 KB · Views: 49

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Awesome! I was hoping someone would rip the Turret from the game so I could build one. I loved throwing them through a portal whose terminus was on the side of a high wall. "I don't hate you . . ." sign1

Your build looks good. I hope you take some videos of it when it's finished.

melvin008

Dec 14, 2007
Middle of Nowhere
Slowly getting there : ) Finished the first layers of painting and have most of the piping and eye transparency complete. Still need to make feet and come up with something for the thighs....almost thinking of using 10ga wire...paper and cardboard might not have sufficient rigidity to support this baby's massive head.

Attachments

• Paint.jpg
    Paint.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 10

melvin008

Dec 14, 2007
Middle of Nowhere
Oh noooo! I forgot to leave room for a laser....so sad.
Yeah I might have to go to the hardware store and get some small steel rod to support it...the little turret is a little chunkie lol

Might be cool to make a box for the little guy..

Attachments

• pieces 01.jpg
    pieces 01.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 9
  • pieces 02.jpg
    pieces 02.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 6
  • character009d.jpg
    character009d.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 15

melvin008

Dec 14, 2007
Middle of Nowhere
Well the little bugger has legs. I have to adjust them a bit to match the stance of the turrets in the game. Might need additional support to handle the gun pods though. If anyone tries to build one of these little guys as well I'd deff suggest putting some protruding leg connectors into the body before attaching the legs...may remove the need to hold the legs still for 30 minutes while epoxy sets up lol. Advise right up there with remembering to leave room for a laser.

Attachments

• turret standing no arms.jpg
    turret standing no arms.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 11

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
Actually, your build is inspiring me to start my own. I know a few Portal fans, and they'd be ROTFLTBO if they saw a Turret in my living room. :thumb:

Your build will also be a great guide. It's always good to learn from the mistakes of others (like the epoxy thing, lol!). sign1

Z

Zathros

Man alive! I'm not sure what you do for a living, but that kind of prototyping work gets big bucks in the manufacturing world. That is simply awesome!

melvin008

Dec 14, 2007
Middle of Nowhere
haha thanks for the comments guys. Millenniumfalsehood you're killing me with ideas haha...I believe there might be a second build incorporating a laser and some working projectiles. Be a good chance to make some improvements on design...really toying with an idea of including a servo to bring arms in and out...the model is deceiving to the eye though. There really doesn't appear to be room for the arm to come with the existing void and pipes, guns, etc.

For now....i'll finish this guy off with more paint and some eyes. The model I used had an antenna on the top of the head off to one side...did I really play both games never once realizing there was an antenna?

Attachments

• TurretWithArms.jpg
    TurretWithArms.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 6

Millenniumfalsehood

Mar 17, 2007
Ark City, Kansas
I noticed the antenna when I was playing. I always wondered how that thing kept from snapping on long falls. :wink:

I have a mechanism in mind for making the arms telescope and gimbal. The telescoping mechanism would be hydraulically powered using brass tube and oil, and the gimbals would be powered by servomotors contained in the arms and an RC unit. The RC would control both the telescoping action and the swivelling of the arms, with a seperate trigger assembly for the machine guns.

I just need to clear my plate of other projects before I start something so complicated as a Turret with moving parts. :eek:ops:

melvin008

Dec 14, 2007
Middle of Nowhere
Oh why can't there be more time....oh well almost done Turret1.0 hehe then I guess it'll already be time to start planning Turret2.0.

Attachments

• AreYouThere.JPG
    AreYouThere.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 9