poll steam or diesel or your layout

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by scoobyloven, Aug 1, 2002.

How long have you been into logging?

Poll closed Mar 12, 2003.
  1. Just starting

0 vote(s)
  2. 6 months to one year

0 vote(s)
  3. 1 to 2 years

0 vote(s)
  4. 3 to 5 years

0 vote(s)
  5. 5 to 10 years

0 vote(s)
  6. 10 to 20 years

0 vote(s)
  7. 20 to 40 years

0 vote(s)
  8. over 40 years

0 vote(s)
  9. Since real logging began

0 vote(s)
  1. msh

msh Member

No idea

Since all I researched was how to build my layout and not modeling anything specific like road or time period, I just chose diesel. I remember they were more forgiving on less than excellent track work. Nothing fancy going on here like you guys have, just a little 4 x 8 for my son and I to play with.

I'm sure I must have gathered a complete mix of old and new locos and rolling stock, and am on the verge of causing a temporal paradox that will end up destroying time and space as we know it. :eek:

On the other hand, you've got to start out somewhere, right? ;)
  2. Voice

Voice Member

Actually, a little bit of both. My layout is going to wind up in the transition era, so that fits. However, when I was growing up, the M&StL didn't have steam running, so I'm kind of going to go with a type of "what-if"....What if the M&St L HAD made it all the way to St Louis, and used some BIG steam?? And, what if Santa Fe had trackage rights?? Well, we shall soon find out!!!

3. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

I model 1972-1985 Santa Fe so I have 35 diesels...ATSF, lots of sd40-2's. I have recently started moving forward and hava acquired several Dash 9's
  4. I model a time frame of 1900-1920 in the Missouri Ozarks, so steam is the only option for me. Small, backwoodsie lokies. Gotta love 'em :D :p :D
  5. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

I voted for steam; I don't believe that I have to repeat the misteaks of the prototype on my model.

I probably would have voted for electric if that had been offered.

(I admit that I use my Atlas RS something when I need to check why something isn't running.)

I love to see all the valve gear flapping around.
  6. Partsman

Partsman Member

I will be modelling in the early twentieth century time frame. Perhaps 1900 - 1930. My layout will be very small with tight curves, so I guess that will be short radius steam units such as 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T and perhaps an electric kit-bashed, low-profile mine unit or two.
  7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

It's 1885, what's a diesel?
  8. Wabash Banks

Wabash Banks Member

Steam. Although, I will be running both on my layout.... The setting is the late 40's. I am modeling a poor shortline with a good supply of coal available and not much money. They can't afford a new diesel. They are making due with a very old Pacific they got second hand. They had a Porter 0-6-0 they were using for a branch line but it just got too expensive to keep up. They found a cheap Plymouth 3 axle switcher and put the porter to pasture. A tank engine is the only steam option in the tiny switching space. Steam is the rule on the layout, but the diesel was a good price and fit the size requirement.
    In reality, the layout will be done before I can build the pacific, so diesel will be working it all for a while. I just bought a minitrix 4-6-2 chasis with everythign except a motor. Everything up from the wheels has to be built.
  9. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

I think it's some newfangled thing some German guy will think up in a few years!
  10. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

I love steam, but I had to betray the steam vote only becuase my steam-to-diesel ratio has got to be more then 4:1. :( If only because good running steam is more expensive than good running diesel (in Ho scale that is ;) ) In 1958, steam was fading, excepton: my shortline, where former SP steam still plies the rails! (yay steam!! :D )
  11. ausien

ausien Active Member

I voted for deisel to, but think, as do some others, that a both choice should be included in the poll, the Feather River time is 1948=======1962. and although I have 35 deisel`s I do have 2-3 steam lokies and am in the throws of negotiating to buy 2 more... a great poll.have a good one ..steve
  12. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Member

It is related to that whatchamacalit I found in the old abandoned mine near Boot Hill, I think it was Delorean or somethin like that? Some young whipper-snapper, said his name was Clint, was runnin' around all excited, babblin' about needin' to find Doc Brown. :D

13. ross31r

ross31r Member

didnt vote because my roster has niether!
  14. Will_annand

Will_annand Active Member

Do I even have to reply? :wave: :p

With a layout set in 1900, I think it would be steam only. :D :cool:
  15. theBear

theBear Member

I vote for diesel, mid 60s to EOF (end of flag) here.

I'm running GP-7s, GP 38 Earlies, and have a couple of F3's and RS-11s on order. One of the lines was still running F3s until it went EOF. The other has a surviving RS-11 that still runs along the same tracks for a "new "excursion line.

I will be adding two more roads to the power roster, CN and CP. I've started collecting CN rolling stock.
  16. Wyomingite

Wyomingite Member

My railroad is modeled in the forties and early fifties so I run both.

Ron :thumb: :thumb: :wave:
  17. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

This is definitly a DO OVER dont you all agree???:D

Std Gauge Steam, diesel, Both,
    trolley 3 rail steam, 3 rail diesel
    narrow gauge steam, narrow gauge diesel, narrow gauge both
    Indoors, outdoors, both, combined

Did I miss anything??

While we are at it how about a poll on dbl hobbies
    Who is a Model RR and includes within his layout or layout plans
    Slot cars
    Car collecting
    Military modeling
    Ship modeling
    Fantasy figure modeling
    Sports type modeling
    Aircraft modeling

That should keep the pollsters busy for a week or so :)
  18. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

And you'll have to make it multiple choice - for those of us who have still lost their way :D :D :D :D
  19. eightyeightfan1

eightyeightfan1 Now I'm AMP'd

Diesel for me.Mostly second generation and modern. But I do have a tour train, headed by an 80tn three truck Shay, a dinner train powered by a Consolodation, and the "Only Operable Big Boy in the Northeast".....At least in my world.
  20. Tileguy

Tileguy Member

Mikey, i lost my way just typing it so dont feel too bad :D