Poll Question about group buys.

What fears do you have about a group buy?

• Fear of where the items come from.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Affraid of getting ripped off.

• Not what you model or are looking for.

• Price isnt good enough.

• Other.... please specify.

• Total voters

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Thanks to all who voted. I see that some of you voted it doesnt fit your scale, not much I can do about that. There are some of you that voted affraid of getting ripped off. I guess if all of you that voted that had in fact wanted an engine we would have yet another successful group buy. :) With that in mind I hope some of those that did particpate in the last one will share the experince they had with all of you and will put some of you at ease. I would love to continue to get great engines at great prices. I mean nothing better then to say you bought a $150.00 KATO for $75.00. :) I love gloating to the friends about that. :)

If you did vote affraid, please tell me why. Would PayPal make the difference? It was suggested I use them. They cost money and I would have to pass that cost on to the buyer but if its better for everyone, then I have no problem with it! :)

Please feel free to give suggestions and ideas. It helps a lot! :) :)

Thanks!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I didn't vote, but if I did it would probably be #5. If I don't support my local hobby shop, it won't be there when I need something. If I'm at a model train show and see a tool that looks useful, I'll buy it. Occassionally, I'll see a limited run car kit or locomotive that is out of production that I'lll pick up; but if the item I want is in current production, I buy it from my local hoddy shop or have them order it for me. The only way I would consider a group buy is if the group were getting something that was not available in or to my local hobby shop. My lhs discounts everything in the store. His prices are slightly higher than some online suppliers, but not higher than online prices + shipping charges.

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
Sep 4, 2006
www.crescentmodelworks.com
COMBAT said:
I do have a question. What is the number one reason that YOU would not particpate in a group buy?
1. Fear of where the items come from.
2. Affraid of getting ripped off.
3. Not what you model or are looking for.
4. Price isnt good enough.
5. Other.... please specify.

Thanks for your feed back. It makes for a better result in the group buy.

Some more info here:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=257919#post257919
AND HERE:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25583

What about this?
BNSF OR SANTA FE
http://www.atlasrr.com/holoco/hogp38403.htm
8956TQ.jpg

8956.jpg

8956Detail3.jpg

8983.jpg

Any interest in this?

MSRP:
$129.95

PRICE: TBA
I'll chime in,
i voted # 3. The Atlas was in my area but I already got one of those. Maybe if I had alreay sold it I would have jumped in.

Do we have any other deals yet??

-Smoke

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
I voted for "not what I am looking for" and "price not good enough".

Various local groups (formal clubs and not) have offered group buys/orders over the years, and I have not participated primarily because they are not offering what I am looking for. That is probably 95% of the reason why I don't go for it.

The other 5% is that I find the price of such "special runs" (as these often are) to be too high for my budget.

Andrew

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Russ Bellinis said:
I didn't vote, but if I did it would probably be #5. If I don't support my local hobby shop, it won't be there when I need something. If I'm at a model train show and see a tool that looks useful, I'll buy it. Occassionally, I'll see a limited run car kit or locomotive that is out of production that I'lll pick up; but if the item I want is in current production, I buy it from my local hoddy shop or have them order it for me. The only way I would consider a group buy is if the group were getting something that was not available in or to my local hobby shop. My lhs discounts everything in the store. His prices are slightly higher than some online suppliers, but not higher than online prices + shipping charges.
I have bought all my engines and most of my rolling stock on E-Bay so far because they were great deals,but my LHS gets alot of my business also.Just a couple days ago I bought three Cornerstone kits(Medusa Cement,Glacier Gravel Co.,and the ADM Grain Elevator) and a couple quality cars(Atlas & Walthers Gold NP Hoppers) and plan on spending alot more there for more buildings,scenery and such so he gets a good chunk of my hobby money.My next purchase is going to be the Deluxe refinery kit and there's others I want,plus I'm going to need alot of scenery supplies soon.I love going there and so does my son,I know the owner well and alot of the people that go there I know from the days when I worked there so it's nice to see them again and chat with them.Anyways,definantly support your LHS!:thumb:

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Smoke said:
I'll chime in,
i voted # 3. The Atlas was in my area but I already got one of those. Maybe if I had alreay sold it I would have jumped in.

Do we have any other deals yet??

-Smoke

We have this avialable.
They are 100.00 each plus shipping of your choice.
Atlas Master™ Series Silver MSRP:$149.95
I had 1 maybe two people interested and we need a total of four.
It is an Atlas HO DASH 8-40CW - New Paint Scheme. Dcc ready.
THIS IS A SILVER SERIES ENGINE!
INFO IN DETAIL HERE:
http://www.atlasrr.com/holoco/hodash840cw2.htm
9665TQ.jpg

There were a total of four avialable when I last checked. We need to get four people to make them that price. :D

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Thats a good question, and to be honest I guess I would other refer you to the manufacture or have you ship it back to me so I can get it resolved. As far as I know EVERY engine is tested before it leaves the factory so they are sure it works. If you get it and its crushed WE will get the shipper to get that taken care of, thats why its insured. If it doesnt work I would say first lets get the engine fixed my the manufacture. I mean I would assume you still want it and I cant fix it so they would have to. I DO NOT OPEN THE BOXES AND DO NOT TEST THE UNITS. In any situation I would do what ever I can to make you happy. I mean thats what a group buy is, isnt it? Thanks for the good question. I never thought about it until you asked. :)

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
The reason I asked is most mfg's require a dated sales slip from an authorized dealer in order for them to honor the warranty. I know 100% this is the policy for Lionel and some others.

It isn't that I don't trust you. But the big question is if I can't get it fixed whats next. I think you gave a honest answer and maybe one that should be considered prior to selling / buying.

If I did do HO I would give your group thing a try so you did change my position. :)

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Renovo PPR said:
The reason I asked is most mfg's require a dated sales slip from an authorized dealer in order for them to honor the warranty. I know 100% this is the policy for Lionel and some others.

It isn't that I don't trust you. But the big question is if I can't get it fixed whats next. I think you gave a honest answer and maybe one that should be considered prior to selling / buying.

If I did do HO I would give your group thing a try so you did change my position. :)

I am glad you asked! Its a good question. Like I said I will help anyone that has an issue like this. Since I am the orginal buyer I would deal with it WITH you, OR I would talk to the distributor I got it from. Either way I will make sure we get it fixed. :)

Thanks for the foresight with this type of question. :thumb:

Smoke

SOU is for you!!
Sep 4, 2006
www.crescentmodelworks.com
COMBAT said:
We have this avialable.
They are 100.00 each plus shipping of your choice.
Atlas Master™ Series Silver MSRP:$149.95
I had 1 maybe two people interested and we need a total of four.
It is an Atlas HO DASH 8-40CW - New Paint Scheme. Dcc ready.
THIS IS A SILVER SERIES ENGINE!
INFO IN DETAIL HERE:
http://www.atlasrr.com/holoco/hodash840cw2.htm
9665TQ.jpg

There were a total of four avialable when I last checked. We need to get four people to make them that price. :D

I would be interested in one but, I am working on one right now.
img2601bq2.jpg

img2481kr0.jpg

-Smoke

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
I say to everyone that is thinking about going in on a group buy with Combat - go for it! I was part of the BN Exuctive paintjob SD70MAC group buy, and I do not regret it at all! Combat does a great job of keeping in touch with the messages, always updating on the progress (when he got the loco in, when he got the check, when he shipped, etc). That Kato SD70MAC sure runs smooth, just can't wait to get the detail parts on it

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Anyone interested in this? ROAD NUMBER DIFFERENT THEN PICTURE! #8608

DASH 8-40B Atlas Master™ Series Gold WITH DCC & SOUND
MSRP: $229.95
YOUR PRICE= $165.00 plus shipping of your choice. Maybe less depending on quanity ordered.
THATS A SAVINGS OF $65.00

9802.jpg

ATLAS GOLD WITH DCC AND QSI SOUND.
THIS UNIT DOES NOT HAVE WORKING DITCH LIGHTS
http://www.atlasrr.com/holoco/hodash8series.htm

As normal, YOU MUST PM ME to order one.