Poll Question about group buys.

What fears do you have about a group buy?

• Fear of where the items come from.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Affraid of getting ripped off.

• Not what you model or are looking for.

• Price isnt good enough.

• Other.... please specify.

• Total voters

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I do have a question. What is the number one reason that YOU would not particpate in a group buy?
1. Fear of where the items come from.
2. Affraid of getting ripped off.
3. Not what you model or are looking for.
4. Price isnt good enough.
5. Other.... please specify.

Thanks for your feed back. It makes for a better result in the group buy.

Some more info here:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?p=257919#post257919
AND HERE:
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=25583

What about this?
BNSF OR SANTA FE
http://www.atlasrr.com/holoco/hogp38403.htm
8956TQ.jpg

8956.jpg

8956Detail3.jpg

8983.jpg

Any interest in this?

MSRP:
$129.95

PRICE: TBA

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
I would participate in a group buy if I knew are could trust the person doing it. A person that is a regular here would be a great shot in the arm in the trust factor. My main issue with a group buy has been that I only have room for one more HO engine on my layout and so it is going to be a very specfic engine.

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
I voted 2. Affraid of getting ripped off.

I personally hate getting riped off the most. who knows what people are thinking.
All of the above are any good examples of what could happen in a group buy. I would only be in one if I could trust these folks and i'm not sayin I don't but who knows what could happen.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Well, I already did one group buy and I hope those that participated will chime in here for the service they got and if they are happy. I want to make sure, EVERYTHING goes just as I said. I have been on the other end of a shop that did me wrong and I will not do that. :)

Anyone else I have done business on here please feel free to share your experince. :)

What about the engine offered? Would that be of interest?

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I voted for the affraid of getting ripped off choice.

I agree with Jesso on that if they are a regular here on the Gauge, then that means that they are most likly into MRR and not going to rip you off like some people would. Combat is a regular here, looky, he just posted #400 and he is also a good freind that I have done business with myself before withut any problems at all + he has already done a sucsesful group buy with no complaints or issues, the people that ordered the last engines got what they ordered and that is the bottom line. :thumb: :thumb:

Seaboard

Dec 14, 2006
Conyers GA.
COMBAT said:
What about the engine offered? Would that be of interest?

COMBAT, I'm sure somebody would really want an engine like that. It looks awesome, and alot of people like to model BNSF:thumb: , so keep it up for awhile.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Thanks! :) I too would be affraid of getting ripped off and can completly understand. Like I said, please see the other threads on group buys for the KATO engine we did. WOW, what a buy that was! :)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
Yeah I don't know,this COMBAT fella seems a bit shifty to me!:wave:

Actually,his last group buy went well apparently which is why I have decided to send him some of my hard earned cash for one of those Kato SD70's that he was kind enough to offer me.

Chris

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
I love it, and Ymebp loved his first one so much he is getting another that one person ended up not buying. They are really good looking. Keep in mind this next one is an Atlas, and I understand it to be just as detailed. :)

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
What IS with the group buy? How are you getting these discounts? (most of them very good!) If I knew how you were procuring these units, then I'd probably jump in! :) Have you already purchased these, and are sitting at home? Arey you dealing with a distributor? What's the deal?

Also, how about some 1940's/ 1950's era stuff! That'd guarantee at leat one order from me, if you get the right stuff! :) (I know you model modern stuff combat...just suggesting)

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
MilesWestern said:
What IS with the group buy? How are you getting these discounts? (most of them very good!) If I knew how you were procuring these units, then I'd probably jump in! :) Have you already purchased these, and are sitting at home? Arey you dealing with a distributor? What's the deal?

Also, how about some 1940's/ 1950's era stuff! That'd guarantee at leat one order from me, if you get the right stuff! :) (I know you model modern stuff combat...just suggesting)
I hope COMBAT doesn't mind me quoting him....

"They come from a distributer who at times has excess stock they want to move. Its stuff they have ordered and want to get rid of. I talked to them one day and they said at times they have things and they will sell items at a discount when there are multiple items bought. Its just like the way costco or sam's club does it. Hell even walmart does. LOL! The thing is you have to buy all they have so they can get out from under them. They ALL are brand new. Just ask the people who got the ones they ordered. I think one guy even posted pictures of them. The Kato stuff was a GREAT buy. Others will come up, some deals will be better then others. I hope that helps."
smile.gif

Chris

Southern4449

Aug 3, 2006
I voted #3..
If it was what I was modeling then I would have purchased one. Yes I have been scamed before in the past {not here} but Combat seemed to be honest and has been here a while, where I have not...
The price was good, just wished I had the extra money when the offer came up...

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
CRed said:
I hope COMBAT doesn't mind me quoting him....

"They come from a distributer who at times has excess stock they want to move. Its stuff they have ordered and want to get rid of. I talked to them one day and they said at times they have things and they will sell items at a discount when there are multiple items bought. Its just like the way costco or sam's club does it. Hell even walmart does. LOL! The thing is you have to buy all they have so they can get out from under them. They ALL are brand new. Just ask the people who got the ones they ordered. I think one guy even posted pictures of them. The Kato stuff was a GREAT buy. Others will come up, some deals will be better then others. I hope that helps."
smile.gif

Chris

I dont mind at all, thanks for the quote. :) That is correct on how I get them. They ALL are brand new. I never open the box, except on one where the corner of the box was crinkled and I ended up keeping that one so as not to ship something out like that. As of yet I have not gotten any more. I am seeing what people want, what they are interested in. I do the modern stuff true, but if there is enough interest I can see what else they have. I dont have to like it, there just has to be enough orders for it, and the distributor has to have it in stock and they want to move it. THATS THE BIGGEST THING! WHAT DO THEY HAVE THEY WANT TO MOVE. :D

There is stuff they will order and it doesnt move like they thought, or they have a lot in stock and sales are always good. If they sell a lot at once, they get to move the product, get the cash flow, order more stuff which the maker likes and rotate the stock. This works out good for everyone, if I can get enough orders. :thumb:

My biggest fear is getting these things and getting stuck with them. I do buy them up front from orders people place and if someone doesnt end up getting the one they ordered I could get stuck with it. :cry: I dont want that of course, and I dont do THEFT BAY. :curse:

I hope that helps! :D

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
Combat, I was saying in general about being a regular members here, not you. You have been here long enough (posted 10x + more than I ever have) that I would have no problem going in on your group buys. :)

You asked about what people are interested in. In HO, I want to get the GP60m with the new BNSF logo. That is probably the last engine I will ever get in HO, as I am starting to build mainly in N. In N, I would want modern stuff with the new BNSF logo. Of course, that is just my opinion, everyone else's will be different. :)

YmeBP

Dec 3, 2006
Southern New Jersey
www.skyersfamily.com
I am actually getting 2 more ;). These engines are now the pride of my collection. They run better than the spectrum 2000 i have, and the 2 athearns i have i realize need some work on the drive train to equal the smooth running of the kato.

About the poll, you didn't put a "none" vote so i didn't vote :) i had no issue buying from you!! You gave me your address (looked it up it actually did exist ahhaa), and you were also very conciencious about replying to my pm's quickly. I prefer paypal, but i didn't mind sending the 75$ in a check. It was an amount that would pain me to lose but i wasn't going to be out on the street if it flew away either. When i buy things online even from the most "trusted" big name reseller (boy i can give you stories about buy.com not sending me what i paid for then charging me to send it back!!) i know i run the risk of not getting what i paid for and i make sure that i am comfortable w/ that eventuality, if i'm not i head down to my LHS hand over some cash and walk out w/ a bag. I do my best to use my better judgement but sometimes even the best of intentions meet w/ murphy and his stinkin laws.

90% of my rolling stock, tracks, my dcc setups, locomotives, wiring supplies, and cork has come from ebay and other places online.

Last thing i remind people of (even you combat :wave:) is if you are comfortable enough w/ giving a waiter or waitress your credit card to walk away where you can't see them, do whatever it is they do, come back and hand you what you assume is your card back then you should have zero issues buying things online. :D

About the engine(s) i bought from you. They are absolutely fantastic!!!!bounce7 Everyone that sees it says .. wow!! and i haven't even put the details on yet... it runs as smooth as it looks and i plan to vacuum seal one for my oldest son when he gets old enough to handle it properly i'll give it to him. I am so impressed by this engine that i'm installing larger radius turns to better accomodate the larger engines. Right now i mainly have 18" turns and the larger engine looks a little funny going around them :). If it gets better than the kato i don't see how it could but i'd be intrested to see how much they cost!!!

I would be interested in other things in a group buy as well, like quality switch machines, dcc decoders, flex track, and turnouts. Anything that will help me save money and build a layout w/ quality parts that will last for when my kids are old enough to appreciate it. There is something to be said about getting an item for 50 to 75% less than retail, which is why costco, bj's and sams clubs are so popular.

I'm going to take a little movie of my kato rolling around on my tight turns looking funny hahaha.

COMBAT said:
I love it, and Ymebp loved his first one so much he is getting another that one person ended up not buying. They are really good looking. Keep in mind this next one is an Atlas, and I understand it to be just as detailed. :)

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
Thanks for the kind words. I ordered my DCC and sound for my Kato and cant wait to install it and see it in action. :) We will see if others become interested in Group buys as the more people there are the better the price. We will see if it happens again. As of right now there doesnt seem to be a huge interest yet. :)