Poll- have you scratchbuilt anything?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by nachoman, Feb 19, 2007.

Have you scratchbuilt anything?

1. yes

0 vote(s)
  2. no

0 vote(s)
  1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

Yeah.... and it's Really Difficult to drive with glue on your fingers!!! :wave: :rolleyes: :) :rolleyes: :wave:
  2. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

That RV gets too cramped with them Schnabel cars, I'll give 'em trackage rights on my layout...nice work...one of my "Round Tuit" projects:thumb:
  3. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Sorry, Cannonball. :( I didn't mean to be unpleasant or rude. I have no intention of offending anyone, including you, an it's been edited. :wave: (I removed the "duh" but it wasn't directed at you in particular.)
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Fair enough. I won't get too uspet about it since there seems to be a fair rash of hard feelings over the last couple of days as it is. No reason to add fuel to the fire. :wave:
  5. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Thanks Cannonball! I have to agree about this explosion of harsh feelings, and it's not just here. On another forum I read about some guy who was ready to give up on his friend because he was not treating his own trains well! :rolleyes: SIGH! :)
  6. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

People are crazy.
    It's a sad thing when someone else's posessions become more important than their friendship.
  7. corwinktbt

corwinktbt Old-time steam.

I'm currently finishing up a small grain elevator from plans in an Aug 1965 MR and a small coal dealer from an "Easy-to-build Model Railroad Structures" book. I also have quite a few HO and ON30 scratchbuilt freight cars. I enjoy scratchbuilding for several reasons. One, I'm reasonably certain that I won't see duplicates of my buildings on other pikes. Two, I can build the size and footprint of the building I need rather than fit the trackplan to the building. Three, since I model a period railroad(1870s) there are very few freight cars I can purchase, mostly kits and the price of the kit is usually a lot higher (but not always) than the cost of the material. Fourth, I can look any of my models and know that I built them. In some ways, it's more MY railroad because I invested a lot of my creative time into creating it. Probably no more or less than other modelers, I guess I just enjoy taking a few pieces of wood and making something out of them.

Oh, one more thing. It does take longer to scratchbuild, but I look at it as I get a higher enjoyment/material cost ratio. That may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I enjoy spending less money on my pike, while still having as much if not more fun.

For those who are interested in scratchbuilding, the next time you are at a model railroad show, check out the used magazines. There many older or out-of-print magazines with easy structures to start scratchbulding with. Or just go out in your backyard. That shed of yours has four walls, a door and a window. Order the window & door from your dealer and some scribed siding. When you are finish and paint it up, you have another shed for your town and who can't use more sheds?

As you progress, you can stretch your skills on more complex structures. Also, you can totally go off the deep end and build your own windows and doors from scratch. I've done it. It's easier in O scale, but making a double paned window from stripwood in N scale just gives me the shudders. I built my father a factory for his N scale pike, but I had to just use pen on acetate for the windows(Christmas was rapidly approaching at that point).
  8. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Yes, yes, I know its got nothing to do with trains- unless you want to imagine its in S scale or something.

I've just finished building a castle for my friend whose birthday was on Valentines day- we are going to use it in our wargames- NOW TO DO SOMETHING FOR THE TRAINS!!!

I'm actually scared to do any finiky work, since my hand has the shakes.
  9. ocalicreek

ocalicreek Member

Probably the most interesting thing I've scratchbuilt was a little miner's cabin based on one in a book on Appalachian coal mining, in a VGN company town. Dimensions were guestimated and the four walls cut from a single piece of cardstock. Board n batten siding look was created with strips of scale lumber. After I finished it I realized I had gotten the pitch of the roof wrong, but no worries, it still looks just fine IMO. I 'finished' it 7 or 8 years ago, I guess, and had it boxed away until recently. Now it's going to find a new home on my timesaver switching layout as a section house for the track gang. Needs a few legs to raise it off the ground and perhaps a few additional touches. It's too late now but I'll try to get a picture up this weekend.