Poll: Accurate and boring vs. approximate and interesting

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Leif Oh, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I guess I’ll wade it to this with my two bitts worth.

Lets start with the kits we build I cannot speak for paper model Aircraft or Ships, but I have noticed that armor models are often copies (perhaps interpolation is a better word) of plastic kits. This is obvious because the same errors found in the plastic kit will be found in the paper model. The Halinski models appear to be copies of Academy kits. Modellik also copies plastics but they often change the model to make it easer to build, or eliminate detail that cannot be made in paper. Now before you guys start lobbing rocks in my general direction, I am not complaining about how incorrect the models are I am just pointing out that we are starting with models that are not perfect. The second issue is how small a part can we shape I think my limit is a little smaller then 1mm that works out to 1 inch in 1/25 scale. When you look at plastics 1 mm is very course. So now we have a second limit based on how small a part we can make. I also strongly agree with Jim Krauzlis the impression of a detail is often all you need to pull off a great model and may be more important to the overall look of the model.

My vote is for accuracy. . . with in reason (Yah I know I’ve gone over board on detailing some of my models) with a large measure of just plan looking good. The finished model has to be interesting to be appreciated. As an example the GPM Sherman is a great model and appears to be very accurate but like the Halinski P39 it has an olive drab finish and will end up looking like a lump of green something when it is finished.

Roman also makes a very important point about finishing the model. There is a point that you have to stop and say “good enough†and hope no one sees the errors.

Jim Nunn
  2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I don't mind omissions or simplifications due to the limitations of the process of manufacture, but what bugs me no end are errors which would have been no different to get right, but once printed/moulded/cast are a right royal pain in the butt to put right. All the way round the block to get back to where you should have been in the first place. Bah. Thats the point at which I seriously start to loose interest.

Tim P
  3. Falcon

Falcon Member

:D Well, I love details. The more details the better. I've started with simple planes ,ships ,cars ,motorcycles and animals. Then I built models from MM .My first model was the Zero then I've built MM's Cobra and I loved it.At the moment I'm building Modelart's P-40. I'm always making mistakes and sometimes I omit some parts (if I have trouble with my eyes because the parts are to small ) that's maybe because I'm getting younger and younger,lol. My house is full of models now so I start to replace old models with new better ones. For me its a hobby and I use it to relaxe and to get better concentration.

4. Renaud

Renaud Member

completed model

Whistler told that a work of art is completed when any information of the process you used has disappeared.
  5. Gil

Gil Active Member

That seems to be the process by which most of the research accumulated for
    intended projects dissipates by the time renewed interest develops to the
    point of revisiting the process from, let us say, a renewed perspective.
    Tim, are you listening? The research therefore must of have been a work of
    art as the process by which the planning was done has completely

6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Oh yes. And my favourite artist is Salvador Dali......

This is not a paper model.

No, that's Magritte..... I like him too.

Tim P
  7. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I like to show off, but I"m not an expert builder, I don't have the patience
    for every nut and bolt. I like to move onto the next project. I add just
    enough detail so it's impressive, and then rely on having so many other
    models to look at the viewer doesn't have the time or patiience to take
    apart any one model (hey you should of had 256 stringers on that rocket
    stage, not 253...)

8. jasco

jasco Member

I poured my soul into a 1:32 wooden model of a 1865 racing sailboat ( a sandbagger) about 10 (15?) years ago. I did my own research, drew the plans, made my own rope with the correct lay, made my own working blocks, lumbered my own applewood for the deck, spent uncounted hours making the thing as close to a "museum model" as I could. Then I gave the thing to my dad as a Christmas present. Mom stuck it in a back room where it never gets seen by anyone but me when I visit. Extremely gratifying project, but the last one I put that much effort into. Trust me, when I do it again, I'll never give it away.
    To adress the question about detail, the more intricate, tiny, and frustrating it is to make, the more relaxing it becomes and the more stubborn I get about making right. I agree with bfan4t6 's analysis of the right brain/left brain function. I, too, am a musician and time simply disappears when I play, as it does when build models.
    Enough ranting. I love the rockets! How do you get the S.O. to tolerate a display case?
  9. Janusz

Janusz Member

Hello everyone.
    In my humble particular opinion many of us moved into a hobby of modeling
    because for some of us "small is beautiful", at least that is what´s right with me.
    I also think (like many of You) that boring and interesting are relative terms. For some modelers large long lasting projects can be extremelly boring - what they need is a one afternoon or a one night project, for others such a simple model is not a model or a maquette but a toy (please understand that I am trying to show here the two opposite opinions not to appear agressive).

As for me I stick (oho) to the detail, maybe because I can not consider myself a master modeler, but I keep on dreaming ( and also keep on struggling to be better and better modeler everyday). I don´t know if I will ever be albe to reach the level of accuracy of some of You guys, but what a heck ... We are not perfect but perfectionable.
    By good fortune in this hobby there are not right or wrong focuses and there
    is something for everyone, the most important point is not what is better but what is better for You, what makes You happy and what gives You more fun.
    About Halinski I personally find his model designs superb and with just the right level of detail for me. ModelArt is great also , but I (personally) prefer Halinski a lot more.

Greetings from Mexico

10. jcrespo

jcrespo Member

... like belly buttons, everyone has an opinion, so here's mine.

I love adding details to models and researching them as much as possible for accuracy. As all of you have concluded, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The enjoyment is in modeling ... whether simple or complicated, if you love doing it, then that's the way it is!

This is a great forum with a lot of great and talented folks out there.