Polish in Windows

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by barry, Apr 12, 2004.

1. barry

barry Active Member

Please can anyone tell me how to set Windows to display Polish characters on screen because although I have set Polish as the first language on IE6 and downloaded polish language attributes I still get queer symbols coming out like CRLF and indices. This of course appears to totally confuse the free tramslator programs.

2. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

I presume you have loaded the International Support stuff in Windows: I still use 98SE, and you go to Start:Settings:Add/Remove Programs, Windows SetUp tab. You make sure there is a tick in the MultiLanguage Support tick box. Click on Details to pick which language groups you want installed, and Windows then asks you to put your Installation CD in the drive to extract the files it needs.

Apply and OK until it sorts itself out.

You then need to select an appropriate Keyboard language, and you do this by clcicking on the Keyboard icon, in the Control Panel. Make sure the Indicator box is ticked, so you get a little blue box in your system tray which indicates which keyboard language is set; you can click on this to switch keyboard settings while you work. You will have to work out which keys give which symbols, either by pressing all the keys, or by downloading and installing an alternate key layout. This is a bit more involved.....

Finally, you will need to make sure you use a font that includes all the characters you need. Likely all the standard ones will be OK, but the more 'fancy' ones probably won't.

I went through all this with Russian Cyrillic a few months ago, and I use a phonetic keyboard layout that ties in roughly with my UK English QWERTY keyboard, rather than the official Russian layout which is quite different.

Hope this helps,

3. barry

barry Active Member

Thanks Tim it looks like I forgot the keyboard i'm getting lazy in my old age and I hate messing about with Windows luckily for me I too still run 98 on this machine.

4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

I'm looking for a decent polish-to-english translating program to speed up the process for offering new models - do you have something you use regulary?
  5. Ron

Ron Member

I use http://www.poltran.com/ however it is a bit of the variety of "Help, Help my grandmothers postillion has been struck by lightening"

Frankly you have goods to trade and a lot Polish speakers here see if they go together.

6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Tried that.........
    Unfortunately it is not very well suited to translate card modeling terms:(

BTW - I speak polish, I just don't have enough time to deal with it :)
  7. =Kondzik=

=Kondzik= New Member

Well barry if you want polish keyboard choose Polish(programmer) (translation: Polski(Programisty)). If you want polish keyboard in dos terminal in autoexec.bat you need to have a line like this:

keyb pl,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keybrd4.sys

And of cf course you need the file that is mentioned above.
    If you want to write polish signs like ą, ę etc (i don't know if anybody can see this sign properly because you need a font that have this signs) you should use right alt and a letter. for example:

ą = ralt + a; ę = ralt + e etc.

I have hope that you can find useful my tpis.
    And yes i'm from Poland i'm proud of it :D.