policy?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
sumpter250 said:
Anyone who smokes, has the right to poison themselves, any time they wish. But, with every right comes responsibility. They have the responsibility to NOT poison others. The fight arizes when those with the right do not exercize responsibility.
The club I belong to banned smoking in the club spaces. The trains run much better now, on the cleaner track.
I will, on ocasion, put myself in a smoking invironment, of my own choice. I will, however ask the person who has just lit up, and parked their burnt offering under my nose to talk with someone else, to "smoke it, or butt it!" If they're not enjoying the cigarette, I don't need to be breathing the fumes.-ex smoker at four packs/day when I quit,
Pete

That's a sailor for ya! I did 3 a day in the Nav. Some were put puts goinn in and outa the shop. I had no idea, until "Merchandise Control" accused me of selling them on the black market. Went over my quota :D

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
dash10 said:
What state is Nirvana in? I'm thinking of retiring there if I can find it. Somebody told me it was in the state of Bliss, but I can't find that either. Anyone?
Yes, Nirvana is where Las Vegas is, and Bliss is where they have a fort, somewhere around Texas I think... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Or is that New Jersey... :eek: :eek:

F

Fred_M

ezdays said:
Yes, Nirvana is where Las Vegas is, and Bliss is where they have a fort, somewhere around Texas I think... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Or is that New Jersey... :eek: :eek:
I dunno Don, I been to Vegas and they won't let you stay there when the money is gone, so that used up about 15 min of my life. And I been to Texas in the summer and ain't no way that that can be bliss, blis-ter yeah, bliss no. Maybe it's in Jersey? I hear lots of good things about Jersey, esp. from New Yorkers. That's where all the mofia guys hang and live so it must be nice because they gots lots of money so they can live anywhere, right? I really would like to live on top of Mt Sandia. But there's a pesky Nation Park there :( . But up there the air is clean, no smoke! Fred

rcline

Jul 26, 2004
Byers, Tx. 76357
www.geocities.com
Although I am a smoker, I do respect the rights and wishes of others. If i'm in the coffee shop and everyone else is smoking, I don't! We don't have a rail club anywhere around, but if there was and they allowed smoking, I would still go outside! I was raised to say yes sir and no sir. To hold the door for others and be polite at all times. I do firmly believe in my up bringing. So even though I am a smoker, I say down with smoking inside any public gathering location!

docsnavely

Sep 20, 2004
Zushi, Japan
I say, if it's going to impinge (sp) on rail operations in any way, NO SMOKING. If it's strictly a compatibility issue w/other members, whomever lights up around the non-smokers must get permission first. If someone's going to pollute my surrounding environment, I'd like to be asked first. :)

R/
-doc

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
I haven't read all the responses here but it probably wouldn't be a good idea to respond to those I might not agree with anyway. I'll just state my opinion on smoking in general and in a railroad club in particular. First let me say I'm not a smoker, never have been. I don't allow people (even my mother before she died, most definately due to her smoking!) to smoke in my home or in my car. This because I can't stand the smell, not because I'm afraid of second hand smoke. I think that's blown way out of proportion. With all the attacks on smokers and smoking over the last several years, I've come to feel sorry for them. You'd think they were lepers! In a railroad club smoke will affect the operation of the layout and for that reason alone it should not be allowed. However, I am 100% against the banning of smoking in bars and restaurants. There seems to be, in the viewpoint of those who support banning smoking, no regard whatsoever for the concept of individual rights and property rights. Bars and restaurants are privately owned business's and the decision on whether or not to allow smoking should be left to the owner of the establishment, no one else. If he allows smoking and you don't like it, don't go there! You do not have the right to dictate your desires on others. If his business suffers, he may then decide to not allow smoking. Here in NJ, so far banning smoking laws have not been passed for bars and restaurants, like they have in NYC. I hope it remains that way. Most restaurants have non smoking sections. Most of these, at least the ones I've been to, are effective enough that I do not smell smoke. There is one though which apparently doesn't have sufficient air circulation or whatever and the stink from the smoking section is obvious. I don't go there, it's that simple.

Gary

Getting on everything

When I was a young wild man, I hung out with a fellow who smoked all the time. He was always on the cutting edge of style and electronics and such like that. At great expense he redid his appartment in all white, slick, modern and something that should be on Architectural Digest. Needless to say, things did not stay white and stylish long. Only the spots on the walls behind where the art hung were white. So I wonder what the effect is on the details of the layout after years of smoke. We know what happens to lungs. I would say "No Smoking Allowed" just like in public buildings, go outside for a drag and come back in when you are done.

Nick