Police searching for missing railfan

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Copied from Trainorders:
We received this request through our support email this evening. I want to pass it along in case anyone has any information. Sue's email address is skampe1021@aol.com. Although this is near Atlanta I want to pass this along to everyone.
----------------------------------------------------
My uncle, Barry Helling, is an avid railroad fan and a member of your site. Last Saturday, 12/9/06 he went out railroading and we have not seen him since. He railroads in the Lawrenceville area, around the CSX tracks and the Norcross area. His appearance is being considered a possible homicide. We need help trying to find either him or his car. He drove a 2001 Gold Jeep Cherokee, license plate WD700D, wildlife plate. He is 61 years old, white hair and close beard. WE NEED HELP. Possible dark color Silverado truck seen with his possessions in the Birmingham area also. Police has not searched areas specifically. Please have anyone finding anything contact me or the Gwynette County Homicide Department ASAP.
Thank you,
Sue Kampe

Here's a pic of the missing man.
railfan.jpg

----------------------------------------------------
I also received this from Gwinnett County Police Department:
One of your fellow train enthusiasts has gone missing under suspicious circumstances. Barry Helling, age 61, has not been seen since 12/09/06. He lives in the Atlanta area and drives a gold Jeep Cherokee with tag # WD700D. If anyone has seen Mr. Helling or heard from him please call 770-513-5100 (Gwinnett County Police Dept) Mr. Helling is known for his white beard and Santa like appearence. He is also known as the "Silver fox" to some conductors on the CSX Line that runs through northeast Atlanta.
Thank You
Detective Brian Ray
---------------------------------------------------------
If you can cross post this to other discussion forums at other railfan discussion sites Sue would be appreciative. I believe this is legitiment as Barry (pequotjunction) logs in at least every other day. His last login was on December 9th.
Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This is a ligitiment request. The following is from the Atlanta newspaper:
"Gwinnett County police are looking for a Snellville man who has been missing a week.
Barry Alan Helling, 61, was last seen leaving his house on Hunters Pond Lane on Saturday morning.
Investigators suspect foul play, Gwinnett police spokesman Cpl. Darren Moloney said.
"We don't suspect homicide or anything like that," he said. "But the leads have taken it out of the Gwinnett County area for someone whose routine activity wouldn't take them out of Gwinnett County."
Police haven't found Helling's 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee yet. Its license plate number is WD700D.
The BellSouth employee has a bad heart and is missing a kidney, according to a police report. He carries nitroglycerine with him in case of a heart attack.
He may have been wearing a plaid shirt, blue jeans and a jacket with the words "Boston Harbor" on it on the day he disappeared, the report said.
Investigators released a surveillance photograph of a man taken at a Wal-Mart in Villa Rica, about 30 miles west of Atlanta. Police believe the person may be connected to the case. The unknown person was seen driving a newer model, dark-colored single-cab Chevrolet Silverado.
Police asked the public to call 770-513-5300 with information."