Polar Express in N

eltonjohn

Not-So-Junior Member
Hello:

I am new to this forum (these fora?) and have some questions including...
  1. Is there an N scale model (or a proximity) for Polar Express? I think van Swerlingen Berkshire by Life-like looks good for the engine, but I can't dream up anything (even remotely) close to the coaches, as they look like O scale tin-plate models by Lionel.
  2. Is there an N scale model for Hogwarts Express? I know Bachmann and Hornby provide HO models respectively, but I would like an N scale version.
Any information would be appreciated.
Shu

trainsntractors

I have not seen the Polar Express or the Hogwarts in N yet. I think you could use some heavy weight passenger cars from RoundHouse/Athern or from Bachmann and come up with a good looking train with a little paint and time. You might find a better loco for the Hogwarts train if you look at some Peco or Graham farish locos

nkp174

Yes, the real locomotive was the Pere Marquette 1225 which is a Van Swerigen Berkshire...note that ironically that its number is 12 25.
I don't know what real passenger cars were used, but they appear to be heavyweight coaches. Model Power sells "Standard" coaches that ought to work. Rivarossi/Arnold also used to offer them...and I think Con-Cor does as well.

For Hogwarts...I don't know about it being lettered for the Hogwarts express...but Bachmann's Branchline product line offers british trains.
Graham Farish "N" Scale Products

The locomotive in the movie was the Olton Hall...it is a Great Western 4-6-0 of the Hall class.
Also, before the movies, a West Country/Battle of Britain pacific was used as the locomotive...Bachmann does offer these.

Pooh Bah
The coaches for the Harry Potter movies were standard British Railways Mark 1. I think they were painted in BR maroon, so you only have to duplicate the Hogwarts herald on the side. (Bachman painted theirs in the same bright red as the loco.)
Marklin make a Hogwarts train for their system; it seems to be mostly the Hornby product.

eltonjohn

Not-So-Junior Member
Dear trainsntractors, dear nkp174, dear David:

Thanks a lot for the enlightenment.
I really appreciate it.

Being in Japan, the next thing I should do is to find internet mail-order sites that offer products by Athern, Bachmann, Concor, Grafar, Model Power et al.

Shu

P.S. This is really a wonderful forum!

Mountain Man

Hello:

I am new to this forum (these fora?) and have some questions including...
  1. Is there an N scale model (or a proximity) for Polar Express? I think van Swerlingen Berkshire by Life-like looks good for the engine, but I can't dream up anything (even remotely) close to the coaches, as they look like O scale tin-plate models by Lionel.
  2. Is there an N scale model for Hogwarts Express? I know Bachmann and Hornby provide HO models respectively, but I would like an N scale version.
Any information would be appreciated.
Shu

A very good beginning basis for the Hogwarts express would be The Flying Scotsman, which is the actual railroad and track that was used to make the motion picture. The viaduct shot is classic and is seen quite often.

You could have a very original model RR, although I'm not sure how you would model that track number 9-3/4!

Mountain Man

Suggested industries for the
Hogwarts Railroad:

1. Flying Broom factory

2. All Things Quidiche

3. Robemakers

4. Wand factory

5. Magical Odors and Stenches - for the Twins' joke store

6. Crystal Ball factory

7. Hats and Appurtances

8. Owl Rookery (?)

9. Organic Magical Herbs

eltonjohn

Not-So-Junior Member
Hmm.
Hogwarts layout does sound cool and tempting, but may require a tremendous amount of work, n'est-ce pas?

Triplex

A very good beginning basis for the Hogwarts express would be The Flying Scotsman, which is the actual railroad and track that was used to make the motion picture.
The Hogwarts Express was not a LNER A3 4-6-2 like the Flying Scotsman, but a GWR Hall class 4-6-0.