Poker Hand / MOW Photo Contest June & July - Rules

Discussion in 'Current Contests' started by N Gauger, Jun 14, 2008.

1. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

We have decided on a different angle for the June/July 2008 contest... A multifaceted Railfan Picture Contest… including, yes, a Poker Hand Contest. Now just hold on there a second … don’t leave - please read on :yep:. Nobody needs to worry about losing the farm… not here anyway.:nope:

This contest will run from June 20 to July 31
    • First, we encourage anyone and everyone to submit any and all Maintenance Of Way (MOW) pictures to this thread.
    • Any number, from one to five, is acceptable. Since we are running four sub-contests in one, this means you can have up to five pics in each category. (See each category for allowed amounts) Any combination of full-scale and model is acceptable.
    • Second, if you would like to try a bit more challenging aspect of the contest, try to make a few of the poker hands listed below out of your pictures.
    • Each Category below - depending on amount of entries - will have a separate voting poll. Yes – there can be up to FOUR winners this contest!! :thumb: And guess what, you can be all four of them if you play your cards right….
    • What do you get?? Each winner will be e-mailed a specially created Certificate that you can print out and frame depicting a miniature of your pictures and the "Winning" hand you submitted!!!!
    Now the "How to Enter" part:
    • Submit any number of pictures up to 5 in each category (See each category for allowed amounts)
    • All photos MUST be of some type of railroad maintenance equipment (MOW) used to maintain railroads in some way. The pictures can be all prototype, all model or ANY combination of the two, but all pics MUST have been taken by the person submitting them
    • When we say Type of equipment we mean the individual machines:
    Snow plows
    Rail spikers
    Rail grinders
    Tie replacers (Even cars with ties in them)
    Rail replacers (and cars with rails in them)
    Weed sprayers (MOW tank cars)
    Service trucks, (any kind)
    Ballast spreaders
    and anything else used for MOW --- model or prototype
    PM us with any questions!!!
    • You can submit photos in any (or all) of the categories, but you can only enter each category once.
    • Each of your pictures can only be submitted once - no duplicates.
    Example: entering the Full House category and copying them to category 2 or 3 is not allowed!!!

Basic Level Contests

Category #1: Single MOW picture entries: Enter from 1 to 5 single MOW pictures that won't fit in the other categories. Any MOW pics are allowed here! Post pics Here:

If you want more of a challenge, then try to make up any of the below combinations. This is NOT mandatory - it's only if you want to enter them:

Basic Level "Poker Hand" Contests

Category #2: Enter 2 pics only
    2 pics (One Pair) Either of the same type machinery - as described above - or the same roadname....
    Again, either real or model or fictitious roadname... Both pics MUST be either the same type or same roadname
    Example: 2 snowplows (same type machine) of any road name - real or model OR
    2 different machines, of any "same roadname" real or fictitious. MF&W, D&RG, DM&IR, NARA any same rail name!!!
    Also, a Prototype and a model are acceptable. So if you took a prototype pic (of any roadname) and you built an exact replica - post them!!!!!
    Post pictures Here:

Category #3: 3 pics (3 of a kind) -Same as "Category #2" only you submit 3 pics.

Advanced level contest:

Category #4: 3 pics and 2 pics (Full house) 3 pics (See category #3: 3 of a kind) of either same type or same roadname and 2 pics (See Category #2: One Pair) of second type or second roadname 5 total pics
    Note: Each "set" must have at least one different road name
    3 PRR + 2 PC or
    3 DM&IR + 2 BNSF
    3 Snow plows + 2 Tampers (Mixed Roadnames)
    Post pictures here:
    There ya have it.... up to 5 pics can be entered in each category, and no limit to the number of categories that YOU choose to enter.
    And as we said - even if you have only one MOW pic, you are STILL eligible for the "Certificate" for category #1
    But if you want to try for the Full House or any other of the categories... go ahead, dig out those pics and make it happen!!!! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:[/quote]
  2. beamish

beamish HO & Steam Engineer

wow this looks complicated at first, but after reading it all it makes sense to me. Now to dig out the camera and see what i can find. Good luck to all.
  3. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, we debated this for some time, but thought it would be a lot of fun and unique, so we tried to make it simple enough that it wouldn't scare anyone away.

Good luck to all, I may have to go down to the maintenance yard to find a full house.
  4. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Oh one other thought. If you post say a pair or three of a kind, and later you have more to add to get a better hand, you can do so anytime the contest is open.
  5. ScratchyAngel

ScratchyAngel Member

But if Ralph submits four Kingsport and Westerns, would 5 consecutively numbered protos in the same livery beat it as a straight flush.

<ducks and runs>
  6. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Yeah, you'd better duck and run...sign1sign1sign1
    I had plans for a royal flush until we decided that straights and flushes don't count.:cry::cry:
  7. CSXect

CSXect Member

Sounds like a cool idea:thumb::cool:
  8. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Poker-noob question:

Will contestants who enter pictures of MOW equipment made of paper be excluded for having folded?
  9. RonP

RonP Member of the WMRC

sign1 Figures I got a good laugh here.

10. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Hee hee! No worries there. The rules and the fact that the KP&W so far owns no MOW equipment preclude my running away with the pot that way! :)

Oh and logicman....I'm STILL laughing! Folded! sign1
  11. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

That depends on how many the drew...
  12. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Sorry, poker-noob question again.

Someone said I had to 'draw', but I thought this was about photos?

13. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Ya only "draw" cards in uh, draw poker, if you need them. If you don't like them, you "fold" your hand...

In our game, you can keep posting photos and changing your hand to "suite" (oh nooo):oops:, yourself.
  14. N Gauger

See links above for Posting Entries!!

15. N Gauger

16. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Sounds cool to me!
  17. N Gauger

Anyone else joining in????

Let us know what you're planning to post... Ask questions, whatever you want ......
  18. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

wait, does it have to be specifically intended for MoW? For example, near the end of Conrail, they repainted some C32-8s into MoW gray and labeled them "Ballast Express", but i suppose technically they only pulled the ballast trains (and then were used on regular trains anyway). I'm just asking because i've been itching to get in on a contest, and thats the closest thing I have to MoW equipment.
  19. ezdays

ezdays Out AZ way

Hey, go for it. We're trying to get shots of anything used for MoW and that can include part-time equipment as well.