PModels F5E

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by cmdrted, Aug 28, 2004.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Howdy to all, well I tried the seemingly impossible and managed to get a few pics in the gallery/album. Now the next small step for man and giant leap for me is how and where do I post the "How I did it" and the photos of this process. There are probably a couple Rehashes for canopy making that the group should consider and some thoughts on kitbashing that I'd like to share
  2. Huey

Huey Member

Great job! You can post the build process and pics at the Aircraft Forum. Looking forward to your build process thread as I also purchased that model (among others from PModel) but have not come around in actually doing it as I feel that my skills are not yet up to it. Probably after reading your build process, then I may have the courage of actually building it :D. If you have more PModels aircraft, hopefully you can post the build process and pics of each. Great work!
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

Definitely excellent work on the F-5. What's your next Pmodel build?
  4. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

I look forward very much indeed for tips on how to make dome-shaped canopies - please try to make this posting. Until you show me how, I will not attempt the Spitfire I have lying around - the big obstacle there is the canopy (and no, I can't buy a ready-made one, since the scale is 1/25, and I refuse to go to vacuum-forming myself; besides, I really would like to accomplish it from scratch).

Best, Leif Oh.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

PModel F5E

Thankyou all for your comments and kindness. I'll start a build thread on the aircraft forum. I'll have to build another F5 as this was finished before digital camera skills. I built the PModel A4f using the same "kitbashing" technique, and modified a few Marek kits as well.
  6. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Leif, why the downer on vacforming?! There is another way, although you still need to carve a master shape in wood or something similar. Mount the mould on a stick, then cut a hole in some thin plywood just a fraction bigger than the master. Pin some acetate sheet to the plywood, warm it over a cooker ring until it goes floppy, then plunge the mould through the hole, dragging the softened plastic with it. Might be a problem if you canopy is a 'blown' one, ie over 180 degrees (angle, not temperature!) but you don't need a vacuum cleaner, sealled box etc etc.

I still prefer vacforming.... But then, I have access to a vacforming machine at work! If anyone wants to send me a master they have carved, I'd be happy to pull a few formings for them.

Tim P
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

F5E construction continued

Alas, the secret to the domed canopy is a homemade vacuum form machine. Take heart this is not an impossible task, if I figured it out then this is within everyones reach. Enclosed is a crude drawing with some self explanatory directions for the basic machine, which is basically a box with one big hole, to fit your wife's accessary vacuum hose and a bunch of little ones to create a suction pattern for your parts. My first box was plywood with a masonite top and quickly screwed together and sealed with tube and tile stuff inside. It has lasted 2 years and took @ 1/2 hour to make. The only near critical thing is to make it as airtight as possible.
    The only "moving" part is some type of frame to hold your plastic to cook over some type of heat source, which will come later........
  8. Darwin

Darwin Member

Another option is to look on Ebay (or in your local thrift shops) for a Mattel Vacuformer. I've managed to pick up a couple of them with purchase prices less than the shipping cost.
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Re: F5E construction continued

Thanks, I'll remember the reference drawing, and will follow your continued story with interest.

However, all my life I've had this fear of vacuum-forming, thinking that this is too advanced for me. Guess I'll stick to the Hurricane for now (no need for vacuum-forming there, already built the MM version, and have ordered the Halinski version for a hopefully superior design). Seems like the Spitfire will have to stew yet awhile, until I gather some more courage...

PS. "Cohiba" - what is the original country of design here?